MUP 081 - The New Era of Chaosium

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 081 - The New Era of Chaosium

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Download the episode

In episode 81, Dan flies solo with the news! We have our usual Campus Crier info, then he also talks a bit about the unfolding tale that is the new form of Chaosium as told by Sandy Petersen and Greg Stafford. This episode was recorded on June 14th, 2015.

Campus Crier
The Sedefkar Simulacrum
A real six-parts Lovecraftian sculpture and other props for Horror on the Orient Express, a Call of Cthulhu RPG campaign.

H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast - Live 2015

Yog Radio episodes are now permanently public!
(The 16th of this month actually marks 17 years of "Olde Yoggie".)

Cubicle 7- SOE Handbook for World War Cthulhu is out!
You can hear the Good Friends of Jackson Elias talk about the setting and the SOE in their episode 44.

Paul Fricker has completed his 5-part video guide to the Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules!
Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules (Part 1: Character creation)
Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules (Part 2: Game system)
Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules (Part 3: Sanity rules)
Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules (Part 4: Combat)
Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules (Part 5: Wounds and Healing)

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias podcast now has a home on our Campus Forums!

Chaosium is having a massive sale!

Cryptocurium Spotlight
Lord Darkness plaque/magnet

Main Topic
A new revised version of the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Rulebook PDF has been updated to the Chaosium website.

There is a thread at Yog-Sothoth.com where readers can post any remaining mistakes they find.

Sandy Petersen had an interview with Paul MacLean on Yog-Sothoth.com.

There was also an RPG.net interview with Greg Stafford about the new Chaosium.

Ben Monroe is also back with the company!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior
Re: MUP 081 - The New Era of Chaosium

Post by Scott Dorward » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 am

Great show as ever, Dan, even if you were doing it all by your lonesome! And thanks for the warm welcome to the forums!

Edit: I love how the removal of the cake on the episode graphic now makes it look like Matt wants to eat Greg Stafford's brains.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Good solo episode Dan!

And thanks for bringing up the trip issue with HotOE. This has bugged me for a long time, especially since if they really wanted to get more, better quality photos for HotOE in Turkey, they could have hired a local photographer or bought pictures online for a fraction of the cost. I'd love to know which photos were used in the book, as I can only find a handful which could potentially be attributed to it.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

toddwo
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by toddwo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm

trevlix wrote:Good solo episode Dan!

And thanks for bringing up the trip issue with HotOE. This has bugged me for a long time, especially since if they really wanted to get more, better quality photos for HotOE in Turkey, they could have hired a local photographer or bought pictures online for a fraction of the cost. I'd love to know which photos were used in the book, as I can only find a handful which could potentially be attributed to it.

It was a total boondoogle, complete with an extended layover in Paris. 20 years ago, that sort of thing might have been reasonable, but the point of the whole affair was to gather background information for the game. In the Internet age, that shouldn't require a plane ticket. As if that wasn't enough, they actually published a blog detailing their exploits. Talk about chutzpah...
That’s what you young chaps have got to remember – when you run, run, full speed, with never a thought for anything else; don’t look or listen or dither even for an instant; let terror have his way, for he’s the best friend you’ve got- Harry Flashman

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:56 pm

toddwo wrote:
trevlix wrote:Good solo episode Dan!

It was a total boondoogle, complete with an extended layover in Paris. 20 years ago, that sort of thing might have been reasonable, but the point of the whole affair was to gather background information for the game. In the Internet age, that shouldn't require a plane ticket. As if that wasn't enough, they actually published a blog detailing their exploits. Talk about chutzpah...
There are rumors of a similar trip taken with 7e KS money. But I have no confirmed reports of that...only rumors. (Someone roll Spot Hidden or Accounting!!!)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 pm

A good solo review, Dan. Thanks for being you!
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I second the message of thanks. No one shows up to record, and he gets an episode out anyway, like a podcast ninja.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:46 am

In my defense, I was cleaning up vomit from a two-year old. Good times.

WinstonP
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by WinstonP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:56 am

Keeper Jon wrote:In my defense, I was cleaning up vomit from a two-year old. Good times.
Which is a slightly better than cleaning up two-year-old vomit? Though having washed the former off my face, I do not envy you sir.

Paul Fricker
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Paul Fricker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 am

Nice episode Dan - and thanks for the mention!

There has been a lot of speculation about Chaosium, which is entirely understandable. I've only ever done work for hire as a freelancer for them, and I've never had any problems. But speculation is just that. I don't think anyone outside of the company knows the full story. What I do know is I've always gotten on well with Charlie Krank. Some of the comments I've read about him have been very unkind, but that's the internet for you. These forums seem to be a more civilised corner of the net, and I'm pleased about that.
One of the Good Friends of Jackson Elias (a Call of Cthulhu podcast)