MUP 087 - NecronomiCon 2015 Remembrances

Discussion about podcast episodes
Citysliker
Junior
Junior
Re: MUP 087 - NecronomiCon 2015 Remembrances

Post by Citysliker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I think Randall has nailed it.

I was sat between him and Murf in the 'sauna' that was the church for the opening ceremony and Mr Price's comments did raise a few eyebrows.

But as was stated the rest of the Con was so incredibly welcoming, warm, jovial and good spirited it really did fade into the background.

I can appreciate that people want it addressed and I think Chad has outlined a very sensible and considerate approach to what is a sensitive and in some ways peculiarly Lovecraftian issue. A more focused discussion with the correct tone and if possible a guest or two to add balance and background is the correct way to go. As I see it this episode was about celebrating a wonderful event. The only thing I will say is that it should have been referenced in the podcast somewhere so the listeners knew it had not been glossed over.

Just a quick point of reference as well to PirateLawyer, I too agree that the 7th Ed debacle was not covered as satisfactorily as I would have like and I have mentioned this those in control. I even offered to come on the show and play devil's advocate if no one else felt comfortable playing the 'bad cop'. But I think we have got over that particular hump now.

(BTW everyone mentioned in the show that I met - you are all marvellous human beings and we are very lucky to have such a high calibre community!!!)

PS - I AM RED HOOK ;)

Ritterton
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ritterton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:40 am

Hey guys, thanks for shout out and as to Flecka'sPapa--well, my daughter started and set up my iTunes account five years ago...and that is what she came up with. :lol:

BUT, I live I a small rural town out in the middle of no where and there may be a group wanting to play CoC with me as a keeper, I would love to play the game with others. AND YOU SAID A SKYPE OR PBeM option...please, please fill me in.

Also, yes I was playing CoC in the mid 1980s, so decades was appropriate. I know, scary...gray beards wanting to play again. Back then there was also some amazing high quality HPL put out by Donald M Grant...the Mountains of Madness edition is still on my search list from abebooks.com, just need the teenagers to leave enough money in dad's wallet to let me purchase the damn thing. But Jason Thompson's Dream Quest is an awesome high quality book.

Great podcast discussion in this episode. I look forward to the larger discussion noted in the comments above.

Again, would appreciate more on the collaborative online playing options.

UndeadDomain
Freshman
Freshman

Post by UndeadDomain » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Awww..... I was in the same room as Chad and Murf and I didn't get to meet them.... (During the Live H.P Lovecraft Literary Podcast). Sadness..... But I did get to meet Adam Scott Glancy and Mike Mason though. That was awesome. I was buying Delta Green in the vendor hall and as I'm walking away, this tall guy says, "Ya know, I can Sign that for you, if you like.". I just stood there dumbfounded and asked "What?, No...." (disbelief no). And he goes, "I will pull out my ID, right now". It was funny. He signed my book and we had a chat about gaming in general, Had a small discussion on character generation too. But in reference to the podcast, you guys are right about the feel of Necronomicon. Always can find someone with something in common. And the panels were nuts. I went to one on H.P. Lovecraft and Rome and when I left, I went straight to the Vendor hall and picked up 4 Invictus Books ("core", companion, De Horrore Comosmico, and Legacy of Arrius Lurco. I am definitely going to go in 2017. Keep up the awesome Podcast!

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 pm

R.J. MacReady wrote:I’m glad to hear that you will be discussing that topic on a future show (hopefully sooner than later.) I too was surprised that it wasn’t even mentioned by you gents. Robert Price’s comments were met with quite a bit of shock from many there. I'd say Mr. Price had a responsibility as the final keynote speaker of NecronomiCon 2015 to keep the focus on the literature and appreciation of Lovecraftian culture in its many forms. To instead espouse xenophobic views, take a shot at affirmative action, and top it off with 'all Western, white male logic is seen as a tool of oppression these days' (boo hoo, us poor white guys) was not how the con should have been kicked off to say the least.

No one is questioning Price's scholarly contributions to Lovecraft's legacy - he wouldn't have been so prominent a speaker at the opening ceremonies if such were not the case. However, divisive rhetoric was wholly inappropriate in that setting. Price can have whatever beliefs he likes, but he should express them and grind his axes on his own dime, not in a setting where he was a guest. Aside from the attendees offended (and there were many – I was there), let's not forget government representatives of the city of Providence were also present, so it was not a good look for NecronomiCon PVD in their eyes I'd imagine. All this being said everyone I spoke to at the con was pretty dismayed and shocked by his comments. The devotees of Lovecraft who in this day and age may share his appalling views on race, are definitely a very small percentage of the overall fanbase.

It was an unsightly blemish on an otherwise stellar and beautiful experience for those who attended. Niels (the director of the con) was upset about Price’s comments, but he is to be commended for his thoughtful responses on Facebook and on a great panel he led about racism and Lovecraft that I attended at the con. While I know many people are sick of the racism topic when it comes to Lovecraft, the Price incident of NecronomiCon 2015 and The World Fantasy Awards controversy show that it is still both relevant and topical. I think that this topic can be spun via MU-Podcast and its Forum (and others like it) into a positive conversation and exchange that will only strengthen and grow our community’s devotion and pride regarding the Call of Cthulhu RPG, horror gaming, and weird fiction. It may not be easy, or pretty, but in the end it will be worth it, because if I were to take away one thing from attending both NecronomiCon 2013 and 2015, is that the people of our community are thoughtful, caring, empathetic, and very weird – and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
I'd just like to pop in here and thank R.J. MacReady for his insightful and wonderfully eloquent comment (above) on Price's remarks. In particular, MacReady's observation that this did not reflect well on the Lovecraftian community in the eyes of local officials points to a decidedly pragmatic and legitimate concern. That aside, it is indeed accurate to say that Lovecraft's problematic legacy remains "relevant and topical" -- and it it behooves us to acknowledge that fact without fear of undercutting the value of HPL's contribution to world literature. Like MacReady, my own observation is that the Lovecraftian community as a whole has minds and hearts large enough to handle this issue without retreating into cultural egotism or denial. R.J.M's post was an elegantly reasoned and expressed rationale for continuing the conversation. Looking forward to hearing the Keepers wrestle with this on a future episode.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who