MUP 094 - That's what They want you to think!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 094 - That's what They want you to think!

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 am

Episode 94 finds all four hosts back together! Mostly!
Chad had to go after a while, but we have him for most of the time. The boys decide to take some already out there stuff and make it even weirder by discussing how to take conspiracy theories and make then into plot seeds for a Mythos related game.
This episode was recorded on January 18, 2016.

Campus Crier
Exclusive Golden Goblin announcement: Mark Shireman was slated to write one of the scenarios for Tales of the Caribbean, Black as Pitch at Midnight, taking place in Trinidad - with an interesting connection to India. But for personal and work-related reasons, he was forced to regretfully withdraw from that assignment. After some discussion, the GG team decided to it would be best (as far as staying on track and schedule) for Oscar Rios to write that scenario instead. Work on that is already underway. Mark is still going to handle art direction and layout duties.

It’s a bump in the road but Oscar does not expect this to cause significant delays. Since the main book grew a bit due to stretch goals (2 extra scenarios), the delivery date will still be a few weeks from the original estimated release time of June this year.

H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness is Being Adapted Into a Video Game, Utilizing UE4

Pookie reviews 7th Ed.

Episode 1 of the Sentinel Hill Presscast:
Brett's first guest is Chris Huth, artist and author - he talks about his witchy scenario in the AG #3, plus history and folklore segments and little readings. Sounds good so far. Not on iTunes yet - he is waiting for 3-4 episodes to have in hand before he sets it up there.

Hunter in Idaho kills mountain lion with an extra set of teeth growing from its forehead.
Sent by Rob @PencilBloke

Feedback-
We got a voicemail from our friend Brian in Massachusetts! He points out that we are obviously not as well versed in 7E as we want to be. It turns out that The 7e Investigator's Handbook page 101 has a box text which covers that very ground.

Cryptocurium Spotlight
Cryptocurium introduces a new series of Cthulhu Mythos inspired sculptures, “Lovecraftian Shrine Idols”.
This ongoing series will feature a range of creatures and entities featured in and inspired by Lovecraft’s legendary Cthulhu Mythos. Starting off the set are the unspeakable “Outer Gods” of the Lovecraftian pantheon: Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath, Azathoth and Nyarlathotep.

Show Topic:

Conspiracy Theories. Each host picks a RL conspiracy theory, the more outrageous the better, and talks about some plot hook ideas to use them in game.

Chad dives deep into: Fluoridation and the John Birch Society
Wiki Article on the topic
Here is an article on a believer site
Blurry Photos Episode
“I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.”
https://youtu.be/N1KvgtEnABY

Did Jamestown’s Settlers Drink Themselves to Death?
"...recent studies have showed that their water was tainted with salt, arsenic and human waste."

For modern examples, look no further than Flint, Michigan, where it appears that water was known to contain dangerous levels of lead.

Jon blows the lid off of: MK Ultra
Wiki article
Blurry Photos Episode

and… Poisoning of alcohol in the 1920s by the US Govt.

Dan tunes into the theories about: HAARP
Wiki article
Blurry Photos Episode
One of the nicest images of the facility
The Gakona Roadhouse

Murph takes us on a trip of the baggage system of: The Denver International Airport
Skeptoid episode about the airport
Blurry Photos episode about it
Bluecifer!
Believer site with some nice images of the artwork inside.
A believer site that gets the murals backwards with parts 1 and 2.
Gawker article on the airport.
Autodesk Case Study: Denver International Airport

Videos-
Denver Airport Allows Camera Crew in Underground Facility

MSNBC on Denver's Automated Baggage System
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MUP 094 - That's what They want you to think!

Post by fallingtower » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Wow what a nice evening to be a Lovecraft (and Call of Cthulhu rpg) fan.

New MU podcast and a nice update on 7e. Video of the books.

I might use all this as an excuse to break my diet. :cthulhudance:
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

UndeadDomain
Freshman
Freshman

Post by UndeadDomain » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Another great podcast! I'm glad you mentioned that "At the Mountains of Madness" Game. I came across it a couple of weeks ago and red flags went off. I expressed my concerns (politely) in the YouTube comments of their trailer. https://www.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=fzLzHEOaV1k

They mentioned that that are focusing the game on survival elements and are also gonna be making Star Spawn playable in flashbacks. It's a little concerning to me because I feel it ruins some of the mystery by just seeing and playing star spawn vs elder things vs dinosaurs but maybe that just me.

What do you guys think? Would it be better as a narrative focused game? I feel they'll be making it too action like, with guns and fighting penguins and shoggoths, etc. I gave a lot of advice to the developers but they waved it away. Kinda makes me want to make my own game. Too bad I have no experience with game development...

Anyhow, thanks for the podcast, you guys rock as always!!! :cthulhudance:

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Love the episode & the idea of the found time capsule with messages of help is just ripe for all kinds of scenarios. Stuff that comes to mind with player characters part of a crew & dig up a time capsule early or on scheduled time: time capsule address points to a funeral home & the complaints going to an old nursing home, something near a pet store/aquarium/zoo (with the names going to animals asking for help or the threat), a toy store about some supernatural dolls that have been taking over (or needing help), etc.

What ever happened to the time capsule that stored time? Something from age long gone hid inside & now it's free or it acts as a stable gate or an infected & hiding gate that infects things (which almost goes into the films of Brigadoon or Two thousand Maniacs). The players go visit some relative or family home out in the country & thinking everyone there are not keeping up with the times or reenacting history to find out they went back in time & to keep history from mostly repeating itself, they have to shut that gate before the whole world jumps back when the time capsule was put there.

-
late edit with some late night thoughts, thanks sleep problems...
Time capsule infects like mentioned before but it infects on a personal/mental level so the people will start to take on personalities of the people who buried the time capsule from whenever it was long ago. Throw in some of the PCs with relatives getting infected into cultists or victims so the time capsule now needs to be locked up maybe with some new personalities trapped inside either as copies or leaving the people as blank slates.

Also the time capsule as a prison with something inside like a colour, key to the time traveling Yithians or an insane brain stolen from the Mi-go (going back to ye olde fun idea of mi-go brain cylinder, turn it on & just have recordings of someone/many someones screaming as the brain is vaguely insane).
Last edited by fox01313 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Bootlegger
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Bootlegger » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:48 am

Thanks for another great episode! I very much get a kick out of conspiracy theories and I can see endless possibilities here. A great resource for this type of scenario is Everything is Under Control by Robert Anton Wilson. It's kind of an encyclopedia of theories and it's fun reading!

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by KeeperAntUK » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:00 am

Great ep! You guys doing what you do best :D

Had a couple of thoughts inspired by HAARP discussion. I loved the idea that the pattern keeps appearing throughout history; what if it needs to keep transmitting a 'Nothing to see/eat/conquer here' signal? Kinda the other way round than normal, it needs to keep transmitting or something will come to find out why it's stopped.

The other idea was a perhaps a little more Delta Green. The Mi-Go (or other race) infiltrate the government but their plans keep getting thwarted by conspiracy 'nuts' (players) etc, so they build a trap. Something that they know that will be irresistible to people of the players ilk. They throw out bait and lure their most dangerous and effective adversaries to the location so they can deal with them. Agents etc disappearing would only add to its attraction.

Ant

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Fluoride in water and a colour out of space brought to mind the mineral called Blue John. It used to be highly prized for its blue and yellow banding, and is still mined in small quantities to this day. It is a form of Fluorite, and the whole word of Fluorescence came from the idea that Fluoride glows in the presence of UV light.

There are two cups in the British Museum of a mineral the romans highly prized called murrhine that might be a form of Flourite similar to Blue John. It was said to give a pleasing taste to wine, but was soft enough that a senator was noted to nibble at the edges of a cup by Pliny the Elder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_Cu ... awford_Cup

So we have a strange mineral that glows, that happens to be located in a small area of Great Britain. Heck, tie in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Terror of Blue John Gap', and we have strange mutations of beasts, that hunt during the night.

I think we have a colour out of space, somehow dormant or dead and layered into the rocks where it lay. Does it still contaminate the world? Or was it the presence of fluorite in the rocks that trapped it in the first place?

It makes me worry that I have a small piece of blue john back at home. ;)
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Gerall
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Gerall » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:20 pm

The riffing on potential horror-worthy fluoride in public water supplies was terrific! (In the original definition of the word: of, or evoking, terror.)

Brilliant ideas - thanks very much for sharing them.
--Gerall
Hide from the stars!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:04 am

Wow, glad to hear that! Was thinking its was a bit of an idea salad, but glad you found some worthwhile croutons to enjoy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Loved this episode, guys! Brainstorming is infectious, and it's easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm.

In regards to the "too weird to be real (but it is)" Denver Airport, I think it would be a perfect playground for the subterranean sadistic Old-Ones of K'n-Yan. They could have been using the once bustling airport as a hunting ground, to materialize and grab weary travelers to bring to their cities below for slavery and amusement. You could easily set up a scenario where a friend of family member goes missing from the airport while awaiting a connecting flight, as their documentation would show that was their last known location. Staff or authorities could have heard rumours of missing travelers, seen glimpses of the Old Ones, or even be involved in keeping things quiet in exchange for favours from the worshipers of Tsathoggua. I really want to dabble with this a little more...this is just off-the-cuff stuff :)