MUP 109 - Staring at the Sunspots

Discussion about podcast episodes
Canageek
Senior
Senior
Re: MUP 109 - Staring at the Sunspots

Post by Canageek » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 pm

I've been moving as well. (Friend with a pickup shows up in about, um, fifty minutes.) so I've not recorded mine. However, I've got most of the text written, found a Text to Speech voice that isn't half bad, though I might find a better one, and found a Creative Commons 853Hz + 960Hz duel tone sound. Is Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license OK to use? I've got a 1050Hz sine wave tone that is public domain that I can use instead if you prefer, but it is a bit less creepy. (Bonus points if anyone can figure out what I'm recording from that.)

Also, is it OK if I use bits of old MU Podcast shows in this? I need a clip of some people talking.
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:49 am

Great show & very fun to hear about the history of Sunspots. Saw the fundraising stuff online but didn't look into it much yet but now that I know the story of it & the history I'm definitely interested.

For the caller assistance on coming up with ideas, I like the excluded mi-go group, bigfoot/wendigo ideas. Here are the few I was thinking of:
*Prepper wanting to dig out a new basement or hideaway to find something akin to the tomb in the Statement of Randolph Carter, something or someone buried down there for a while & just waiting for something or someone.
*Lots of wooden & stone ancient sites around there, disturbing one wouldn't be good if you are clearing out a spot to make a new bunker
*One prepper tired of waiting, wants to test out defenses so finds a way to bring a force of sorcery/eldritch/whatever to attack as they have enough supplies to outlive some apocalypse thing, right?
*another good thing would be adapting the Bryson Springs scenario (from Caleb at Role Playing Public Radio), akin to the previous idea, where someone thinks that there's some part of the local government that they don't like, find someone willing to take it out for a hefty price (then goes insane in the process) so instead of just the local government it goes after anyone in the immediate area. Actual play of what happened in the 1930s ( http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... n-springs/ )
*one prepper went to far in the conspiracy hole, a local friend finds what's left of this one so you can take it to whatever conspiracy end you want with any folklore or mythos baddie being found by one too curious, now it thinks the rest of the area is easy prey.

-

For the new Delta Green it's mostly CoC with some new things with the known gents at DG able to fill things in, Adam Scott Glancy & Dennis Detwiller with the interviews they did at Drunk & Ugly Podcast. :cthulhu1:
http://drunkandugly.com/2015/10/26/inte ... tt-glancy/
http://drunkandugly.com/2015/10/14/inte ... detwiller/

After the interviews listen to the game in progress at Role Playing Public Radio going through the newer edition of the game (not sure if it was the final print edition but pretty close to see the new stuff): :conspiracy:
(WARNING there are some rough spots in this in the narrative that might be a bit too dark, they put up a warning on the episodes though there are some amazing bits in the God's Teeth series)
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... episode-1/
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Canageek wrote:I've been moving as well. (Friend with a pickup shows up in about, um, fifty minutes.) so I've not recorded mine. However, I've got most of the text written, found a Text to Speech voice that isn't half bad, though I might find a better one, and found a Creative Commons 853Hz + 960Hz duel tone sound. Is Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license OK to use? I've got a 1050Hz sine wave tone that is public domain that I can use instead if you prefer, but it is a bit less creepy. (Bonus points if anyone can figure out what I'm recording from that.)

Also, is it OK if I use bits of old MU Podcast shows in this? I need a clip of some people talking.
Yes :D

Ritterton
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ritterton » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:04 am

Canageek wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:I have some thoughts that I wanted to share about Canageek’s Prepper scenario idea.

I have a little experience living around “preppers” before this term ballooned via Internet into such widespread use. From what I saw, they often nurture a deep belief in some kind of End Times, whether of a biblical nature or just a strong belief that civilization is going to collapse all at once. Because they put so much work and resources into the preparation, watching for signs of this event becomes a kind of obsession. It strikes me as a kind of fantasy, in which there is a glorious imagined moment in the future when Preppers get to tell the world “I told you so.”

So as far as the question of how to answer “why now?” I would submit one possibility is that a Prepper figures out how to make it happen – or at least think they are going to make it happen. In this case, a Prepper or community of them could come across some kind of Mythos means to hasten the coming of the End Times. This could be in the form of a serious Mythos threat, like the ability to Call Cthulhu. Or they could have come across a lower-level spell or two that would wreck havoc locally but not drag the whole world down with them - like a Summon Moon Beast spell, or something of the like.
I can't wait to listen to the episode after work. I'll see if I can set up some speakers in the lab so I can listen while cleaning today. As a note, I've made a thread of this in the Historical Honors Society, and kept it updated with the latest feedback and suggestions I've gotten.
So Canageek and Dr. Gerard,

I twirled about the question about how do you get the investigators into the region with the Preppers. What about this type of scenario:

Father retired and after about ten years seemed to be drifting into a more and more radical "got to protect ourselves from the liberal media and be prepared for the upcoming revolution" talk. He sold his home and moved to this area of Idaho where he bought his 40 acres with a stream and double wells. He built a fortress like home. You are his son/daughter, and talk about once a month with him. He missed the last two months of calls, so you felt a bit concerned and called to ask the Sheriff to check about. Seems no one has seen him for a few weeks, and he hasn't picked up his mail. So, Sheriff makes a house call after checking with his coffee group at the local restaurant and found his house open and no one there. He asked folks to keep an eye out, but no one has any trace of him "or the others that have gone missing of late."

You could also play it that a letter arrives from your Dad, giving some clue that someone is tracking him and tapping his phone. Worried about someone finding out about the old mine shaft with traces of gold he has found. Cannot trust anyone, but wanted to send a letter to you.

Just a thought!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Ritterton wrote:
Canageek wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:I have some thoughts that I wanted to share about Canageek’s Prepper scenario idea.

I have a little experience living around “preppers” before this term ballooned via Internet into such widespread use. From what I saw, they often nurture a deep belief in some kind of End Times, whether of a biblical nature or just a strong belief that civilization is going to collapse all at once. Because they put so much work and resources into the preparation, watching for signs of this event becomes a kind of obsession. It strikes me as a kind of fantasy, in which there is a glorious imagined moment in the future when Preppers get to tell the world “I told you so.”

So as far as the question of how to answer “why now?” I would submit one possibility is that a Prepper figures out how to make it happen – or at least think they are going to make it happen. In this case, a Prepper or community of them could come across some kind of Mythos means to hasten the coming of the End Times. This could be in the form of a serious Mythos threat, like the ability to Call Cthulhu. Or they could have come across a lower-level spell or two that would wreck havoc locally but not drag the whole world down with them - like a Summon Moon Beast spell, or something of the like.
I can't wait to listen to the episode after work. I'll see if I can set up some speakers in the lab so I can listen while cleaning today. As a note, I've made a thread of this in the Historical Honors Society, and kept it updated with the latest feedback and suggestions I've gotten.
So Canageek and Dr. Gerard,

I twirled about the question about how do you get the investigators into the region with the Preppers. What about this type of scenario:

Father retired and after about ten years seemed to be drifting into a more and more radical "got to protect ourselves from the liberal media and be prepared for the upcoming revolution" talk. He sold his home and moved to this area of Idaho where he bought his 40 acres with a stream and double wells. He built a fortress like home. You are his son/daughter, and talk about once a month with him. He missed the last two months of calls, so you felt a bit concerned and called to ask the Sheriff to check about. Seems no one has seen him for a few weeks, and he hasn't picked up his mail. So, Sheriff makes a house call after checking with his coffee group at the local restaurant and found his house open and no one there. He asked folks to keep an eye out, but no one has any trace of him "or the others that have gone missing of late."

You could also play it that a letter arrives from your Dad, giving some clue that someone is tracking him and tapping his phone. Worried about someone finding out about the old mine shaft with traces of gold he has found. Cannot trust anyone, but wanted to send a letter to you.

Just a thought!
That is a very workable hook to get outsiders involved!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Ritterton
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ritterton » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks Doc. You can always play up the adult child who is not happy about going there, but knows they have to and asks a couple of his buddy investigators to tag along as the place is a bit "high tension."