MUP 114 - It's an Invictus Festivus!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 114 - It's an Invictus Festivus!

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 am

In this episode, Dan, Jon and Chad are joined by Oscar Rios from the Goblin Lair to talk about the future of Cthulhu Invictus -- and other mysteries! This episode was recorded on November 28, 2016.

Campus Crier

Badger is now offering a Feed the Shoggoth turn counter via the game’s website! It was previously only available to Kickstarter backers, but he has made available to the public the extra copies left over from the KS. It’s $5 (plus $1 shipping), you can get one of these turn counters, minted by Campaign Coins. There are also rumors of a mini mini-shoggoth in the works by Jason McKittrick. Smaller than the one in the Kickstarter, will retail for about $10 plus shipping.

Also, Badger has generously offered a special code for MU Podcast listeners - if you want to buy a copy of Feed the Shoggoth at a $5 discount, you can use the code shoggydec16 to buy the game for $15 instead of $20. Website here: http://www.feedtheshoggoth.com

HP Lovecraft : Cthulhu Mythos, the Great Old Ones II - a Kickstarter for cool sculptures

And by the same artist as the above campaign, comes Adventure Heroes - miniatures in 30mm inspired by Robert E Howard, including the man himself!

Osprey books - the nerdy history for miniatures company - has come out with a new book for their Cthulhu Wars line - Roman-era Mythos!

Pelgrane's Fear Itself 2nd Edition is now available, as is Ken Hite's The Thrill of Dracula.

That Poppy is freaking creepy. Check out these hypnotically disturbing videos here, here, here and here.

Adam Scott Glancy GM'ing a live-stream Call of Cthulhu game along with Cody Goodfellow and Ken Hite via Legends of Tabletop! - The Last Flight of the L58

NICTONOMICON Bestiario sobre Lovecraft / a Lovecraft bestiary

Tales from The Loop

Edwin cooked up tables to demonstrate the variable effect of penalty dice as used in CoC. Thank you Edwin!

“Graphs based on Monte Carlo simulations with 50,000 rolls with each level of penalty. It’s interesting that the max penalty is at a different skill level with one die (at 47%) than with two (at 62%). Your 15% is about right. The average penalty over all skill levels based on this simulation is 17%. Two dice provide a 25% average penalty. The analysis ignores fumbles.”

ImageImage

MUP News

Just a reminder, we're using mup.feedback@gmail.com for...feedback.

Card Catalog

A hat tip to David Jacobs, who posted this thing on Google Plus, learned about on the 99% Invisible podcast...

The Roaring 'Twenties - an interactive exploration of the historical soundscape of New York City

Using Municipal Archives of the City of New York, cataloging over 600 unique complaints about noise around 1930 while reproducing over 350 pages of these materials. It also includes fifty-four excerpts of Fox Movietone newsreels, early sound experiments that at once captured and technologically remediated the sounds of New York City, as well as hundreds of other photographs and print materials.

http://vectors.usc.edu/projects/index.php?project=98&thread=AuthorsStatement

It's at this point where we lost Keeper Jon, as he was feeling under the weather and just couldn't stay up any longer.

Topics -

CTHULHU INVICTUS!

7th edition guide to Cthulhu Invictus.

New KS starts on Feb, with a March 15 end, the ides of March

This is a new book from the ground up, not just a rules update to the existing Invictus core book.

GGP is allowed to re-issue and update all existing Invictus books with author permission.

There will be three regional Invictus books: North Africa; Britannia & Beyond; and The East.

They are not dropping their Jazz-era projects though. There is a Pacific sourcebook being worked out, and other projects coming down the line.
We want to hear from you!

By email: mup.feedback@gmail.com

By phone: (401) 400-0MUP (0687)

By Twitter: @MU_Podcast

By Speakpipe: (Click the floating tab on the far right of this page)

On our forum: mu-podcast.com/campus.

Like what you hear? Please become a Patron! >> mu-podcast.com/patron <<
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

DadsAngry
Freshman
Freshman
Re: MUP 114 - It's an Invictus Festivus!

Post by DadsAngry » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Is Keeper Chad not Chad Bowser? I though they were the same person.

Canageek
Senior
Senior

Post by Canageek » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:50 pm

I kind of hate to do this, but there were a few common myths during the discussion of the Roman time period. The first one, the we don't know how they made their concrete. As I understand it, there are two factors. One is they had a lot of access to volcanic 'ash', which is very sharp and makes excellent concrete, but isn't available on the scale we need it today (and has some flaws in specific conditions as I recall). The other is today we mechanically mix and compress it, when they used slaves. This lead to better packing and less airholes.

The other is that the early medieval period had less technology. There were a few specific areas which were lost: Stoneworking and masonry for example, as few people had the vast, vast wealth needed to build on the Roman scale. However, in other areas there was great advancement, such as in agriculture (A mistake made in the description: You could get far more out of a field in the medieval period due to better understanding of crop rotation), armour production, and the introduction of stirrups. Some of these were introduced from the middle east, but others were native developments of Europe. (I can dig up my notes from the class I took on Early Medieval History and Science, Technology and the World if anyone wants specifics. I may have been a chem major, but History classes were a good break and interesting enough that I wouldn't zone out like the traditional easy courses. Of course, so was Computer Engineering and Computer Science....)

Edit: Hope I didn't come off as too negative. I am looking forward to getting into C.I. when it comes out, and I'm sure his research will be miles and miles better then say, the GURPS WWII book on France (Return to Honour I think?).
Moderator of the Suppressed Transmissions board.
Plays GURPS, Call of Cthulhu and a few other things.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:58 pm

DadsAngry wrote:Is Keeper Chad not Chad Bowser? I though they were the same person.
They are not the same person, sorry! Please do not rage quit the podcast. Even though that means orders of magnitude less experience on the team.

I'm called Chad in real life and I write as Charles Gerard.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

DadsAngry
Freshman
Freshman

Post by DadsAngry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:
DadsAngry wrote:Is Keeper Chad not Chad Bowser? I though they were the same person.
They are not the same person, sorry! Please do not rage quit the podcast. Even though that means orders of magnitude less experience on the team.

Now I feel silly for sending Mr. Bowser a email telling how much I enjoy listening to him on MU Podcast and how I miss the history lecture segments. :oops:
If you ever revive that section could you do one on the weird fad in the 1920s of breaking records, ie pole sitting, marathon dancing, etc. Those people are obviously suffering from some form of insanity.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:00 pm

DadsAngry wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:

Now I feel silly for sending Mr. Bowser a email telling how much I enjoy listening to him on MU Podcast and how I miss the history lecture segments. :oops:
If you ever revive that section could you do one on the weird fad in the 1920s of breaking records, ie pole sitting, marathon dancing, etc. Those people are obviously suffering from some form of insanity.
Oh, I wish he was the one doing history segments.

I dropped the segments a while ago when life got busy, but do miss doing them. If I ever brought them back, I was thinking maybe it would be good to cover history that doesn't have a direct supernatural element, like a segment on the First Red Scare or Teapot Dome Scandal or Sacco-Vensetti. But brainstorms abound while production creeps slowly.

Plays for Keepers

Ritterton
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ritterton » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 am

Just wanted to post a note here too, after leaving a message on the answering machine, about how much I enjoyed this episode. I am playing in a PbP Invictus campaign and really enjoying it. Like the fact that there will be additional materials made available for the 7th edition rule set. It was a really great listen. Looking forward to Golden Goblin updates. Also picked up the Osprey Roman book...wow that is a great find. Thanks for sharing that too!

KeeperAntUK
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by KeeperAntUK » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Cathulhu Invictpuss

I'll just leave this here ....

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm

KeeperAntUK wrote:Cathulhu Invictpuss

I'll just leave this here ....
Hah!

Plays for Keepers

SquamousStudios
Freshman
Freshman

Post by SquamousStudios » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 am

Just a reminder that:

a) The sale for Feed the Shoggoth! is still going on! http://www.feedtheshoggoth.com

b) Turn counters are now available!

c) The shoggoth mini mini is in development!

Cheers,

-=Badger