MUP 11- I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 11- I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Episode 11 kicks off with a voicemail. Then we have another installment of the Lecture Series, Keeper Jon tells us about his experiences at KantCon, and then we wrap up by going over the rules for magic in Call of Cthulhu.

Dr. Bob sent in another voice mail via our Providence RI number. He enjoys listening to us argue about the different perspectives we bring to the game.

We have a poll up here on the site asking your opinions for what we should do for a forum option. Let us know what you want!

We have another installment of the Miskatonic University History Department's Lecture Series, brought to you by MU professor Dr. Charles Gerard. This lecture covers the topic of The Society of the Woman in the Wilderness.
There is a page set up with details of the Lecture Series, in the History Department section under Gaming.

Jon tells us about his time at KantCon, where he ran or played in several Cthulhu related games.
KantCon has its own iTunes feed for their live-play recordings. We will also be putting Jon's games into our feed once they're ready to share.
Jon participated in Cluethulhu, a reworking of Clue using CoC themes. He ran a game of Mansions of Madness (official page), and a Call of Cthulhu adventure called The Iron Ghost, from the Fearful Passages book.

Keeper Dan is beginning plans to go to Gencon 2013. He's hoping, at least.

And the show ends off with a discussion of the magic rules for Call of Cthulhu.

**Update**
The Book of Alternate Dead Names has been found! Listener Chad Out of Space on the YSDC forums has looked into it, and found a copy of the site, and news that the original data from the creator, Allicorn, is safely stored for eventual republication on the web.
The content can be found on the Wayback Machine website.

This is the discussion thread for this podcast posted on the Yog-Sothoth forums.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

WiseWolf
Associate Professor
Re: MUP 11- I cast Magic Missile at the darkness!

Post by WiseWolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:21 am

Hey guys, I was finally able to catch up with the show. I haven't finish the liveplay but I am working on it.

There are so many things that I wanted to discuss but I forgot most of it. So I will talk about casting spells.

I am not sure, and I will like to hear your opinion, but if there is a spell on a book, that you can read because you know the language, why does it take forever to learn it? Even worst, if someone is teaching you the spell, why one week? It should be more like: let's sit down, here are the words that you need to read aloud and this is how you open a black cat. There, spell learned. I understand that you might not be able to learn the spell by heart, but if the investigator is carrying the book, it should take minimal effort to cast it. The effort on concentration and soul fatigue is reflected on the MP and the Power spent. Why go through the long period and decide if he is able to learn it or not using a difficulty test?

Looking forward for your opinion on this.

BTW, thanks for the kind words on my keeping, I do my best, I still find it hard to role-play in a different language than my native Spanish.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Hmmm... Well, I can only really think of the specified week as having to do with the fact that these spells aren't something that are just a memorization, but they require a coming to grips with things that take the "laws of nature" and kick it squarely in the junk for maximum damage. Even one Mythos spell completely warps a person's understanding of the universe on a level much deeper than an intellectual level.
As a contrast, when I run Dreamlands, I make such things much easier to learn and grasp. The reality you're experiencing is inherently different, and your subconscious doesn't rebel like it does in the waking world.

I have a great respect for those that take the time to learn another language. The idea of roleplaying (much less GMing) in a second language would have me curled up weeping in a corner. While your scene descriptions could use a little more flair here and there, I've never had any problem understanding what is happening when you GM. I look forward to playing under you on the SoC cast later.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:32 am

I agree with Dan. Your English is good and it's hard to learn and use another language.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 am

Shannon resurrecting old threads. :) It is good cause I never thank Dan, and he's been playing with us for more than a year. LOL

Well, to be honest my English is better than the one I display on Sundays. I am not a morning person and it takes forever for my brain to warm up, at least 2 hrs to be fully functional. That's why I fair better in our Atchung games, at the end of the day.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am

You're welcome, Randall. I do good deeds everywhere.

Signed,

Saint Shannon :fhtagn:

P.S. I think I am a true fanboi of this site now, including the podcasts. I've told several people about it and I noticed a few of them have set up accounts here.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks guys!

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks Shannon! Word of mouth is still the strongest way for a podcast to get around to new listeners. :cthulhudance: