MUP Live Play- No Man's Land

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP Live Play- No Man's Land

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 am

Companies B & D of the 308th Regiment have gone missing. Sgt. Maddox and his squad are assigned to begin the search for what happened to 150 men.

The date is October 2, 1918. In France, soldiers huddle in hastily-dug trenches, faith their only protection against the never-ending artillery barrage. It is the time of World War I — the Great War — when mankind proves itself capable of atrocities never before conceived. As above, so below. Beneath the cracked and shattered soil of the Argonne Forest lives something that waits, lurking and feeding upon misery—something inhuman. Very soon the members of the doomed Lost Battalion will stumble upon this mystery older than Mu, and then the fate of the world will lie in their hands.

No Man's Land is written by Sam Johnson, and published by Chaosium, Inc.
The book is available from DriveThru RPG.

Live Play episodes are not edited for content. Adult discretion is advised.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MUP Live Play- No Man's Land

Post by Koakai » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I enjoyed listening to this live play last night. I was surprised that the officer didn't have a radium painted compass. But that is just me picking flaws in an old scenario. The radium girls did file their court case in the nineteen-twenties, so they were painting for years before that. :)
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 am

Koakai wrote:I enjoyed listening to this live play last night. I was surprised that the officer didn't have a radium painted compass. But that is just me picking flaws in an old scenario. The radium girls did file their court case in the nineteen-twenties, so they were painting for years before that. :)
Glad you enjoyed the AP. Man, it feels like we recorded that years ago!

Hah, yes that part of the writing is funny. I suppose you can chalk it up to a lost soldier's panic. I didn't think about the radium paint -- that's a good one.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 pm

I guess this is more for Murph, how many characters did you make the players get ready for this one? It seems brutal.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 pm

WiseWolf wrote:I guess this is more for Murph, how many characters did you make the players get ready for this one? It seems brutal.
I think he had us all make one backup and keep a fresh spare each time. No spoilers but um...that probably wasn't enough. You can hear Dan doing up his basic training points in game during this episode.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 am

Yep, I always tried to have another poor dumb schlub waiting to be fed to the grinder.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Koakai » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 am

The actual play makes me ever so aware of just why my great grandfather was a craft dodger during the war. I have his old shaving mirror with his intentional misspelling of his last name on it, and have looked up his name before in the records. He surrendered himself in 1917, and from all accounts was living away from his wife in order to lay low.
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 am

Good first episode. Sanity and War really fit together. On the subject of "Meat-Grinders", not really a fan. As the guy running the game, not knowing if you'll finish the story that you've prepared/trying to tell stinks and as a player who never has an attachment to your character kind of defeats the purpose of playing. They're entertaining to listen to. My favorite part so far was when that guy(I can't remember his name :lol: )stepped in the abdomen of a fallen soldier.

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

A meat grinder indeed. I loved the conversation at the end of the session spurred by Hugh's comments about actually playing with some of the luminaries from the Skype of Cthulhu and MU Podcast teams. You'd all better get used to your (minor, but rapidly growing) celebrity status in the Lovecraftian gaming community, friends. Speaking just for myself, though, I'll hold off on the Kleenex and skin lotion for now. :lol:
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Howard wrote:Good first episode. Sanity and War really fit together. On the subject of "Meat-Grinders", not really a fan. As the guy running the game, not knowing if you'll finish the story that you've prepared/trying to tell stinks and as a player who never has an attachment to your character kind of defeats the purpose of playing. They're entertaining to listen to. My favorite part so far was when that guy(I can't remember his name :lol: )stepped in the abdomen of a fallen soldier.
Yeah meat-grinders like that are fun one-offs. You can't get too attached to your characters but they typically are a blast to play. This one was brutal though and so I used it as a reminder of just how terrible WWI was. Especially since we tend to gloss over our character's war history and typically use it for justifying some skills.

I realized it would be a blood bath from the get go. :twisted:

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD