MUP 025 - Ideas about Distractionary Unruliness

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MUP 025 - Ideas about Distractionary Unruliness

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 am

ImageIn Episode 25, we talk about a murder of topics, including unruly players and the Idea roll. We crack open the Bestiary again, and search for the elusive Lloigor. Plus, we take another trip to Pickman’s Art Institute for an interview with Joe Broers.

Campus Crier

Happy Birthday Great Cthulhu!

• It's been 10 years since the first RPG Live-Play recording was released online. That honor goes to YSDC and Paul MacLean for accidentally recording part of a D&D game a decade ago.

• A new book for The Laundry RPG has been released -- check out God Game Black

• And, finally, Chaosium's The Atomic Age book is OUT!

Mythos Buddies - check out this cute little bit of Lovecraftiana from Dreamland Toyworks -- they're $11.95 each, under 3" tall. These little collectibles were designed by John Kovalic and sculpted by Tom Meier

• An appeal to the MUP Nation: we’ve got bills coming up. We’ve set up a new page for people to become supporters. Check out our sponsorship levels and fun thank-you gifts.

• We've got a Guest Post page for the site. We're not going to link to it in the show notes, because we want to hold back the tide of Spam for now. But the address is http://www.mu-podcast.com SLASH guest. Shhh. Don't share this with the robots.

• We're ramping up to launch a newsletter pilot issue -- no date has been set, but we'll be calling for submissions soon. Please feel free to share your ideas on the MU forum. We will be adding an e-mail list to this site soon for everyone to sign up to get the free quarterly newsletter.

Card Catalog

“Alpope-23” from the forum suggested we share one online resource for Keepers each episode. We like the idea, so here we go.

To kick this thing off, we're endorsing the Vintage Ad Browser, which has awesome period advertisements that you can use for inspiration or props at your table.

History Department Lecture

This week takes us to the U.S. capital for another Field Trip from the Miskatonic University History Department, entitled “Mrs. Lincoln Talks to the Dead.”

Pickman’s Art Institute

In the second installment of our new Mythos art segment, Murph talks to Joe Broers about making props out of Sculpey, and about his amazing catalog of Lovecraftian sculptures. His stuff can be seen on Deviant Art here.

Bestiary

We talk about the illusive and pessimistic Lloigor.

Main Topic

For this show, we cover a couple of topics instead of just one. First, some suggestions about how to use the mysterious Idea roll. Then, a little about how to handle conflicts at the table, including play-versus-player problems and other disturbances that can throw off a game session.

We would also love to hear your ideas for topics for us to talk about. Send us a note directly, or go to the Campus Forum with your ideas!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Koakai
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MUP 025 - Ideas about Distractionary Unruliness

Post by Koakai » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Ah excellent. The Lloigor fits the bill for a monster I need. It works like it was written for the scenario I want to whip up. :)
PH.D candidate -M.U. Western Annex

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 am

Eeeeexcellent... *Steeples fingers*
Go forth and unleash the pain upon the unsuspecting masses. Just leave out the lisp if you tell them what it's called.

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Great intervention! err...I mean...show.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 am

First, thank you once again for keeping me company in a hotel room while I travel (that sounds way worse than it really is). Great show and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it.

Next, Dr. Gerard mentioned Richard Scarry's cardboard town. I totally had one of those when I was little! That was awesome!

I enjoyed the discussion on the Idea roll. You may have mentioned this and I missed it, but have you ever used the Idea roll in a way where it gives information over a base amount if successful? For example, when looking through a room the investigators will get X amount of information, if they make an Idea roll they get X+Y.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 am

Good show fellas. I didn't see throwing the stuff off the train as unruliness. :)

NYCTom
Freshman
Freshman

Post by NYCTom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Great show guys. I'm really enjoying the debates and the time you spend really unpacking options on the Ideas roll.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks!
We love getting into a topic we can debate and really bat back and forth to each other.

We know that Murph isn't really a distracting or disruptive player, but that's the closest example we could think of for the discussion. We've all been fortunate enough to not have players in our games that caused real issues, so this minor kind of thing is all we had.
Ep 26 drops tomorrow. We have a lengthy interview, but it's otherwise a slim show. I think you'll still get some fun and info out of it.

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Howard wrote:Good show fellas. I didn't see throwing the stuff off the train as unruliness. :)
And neither did I Howard... (insert evil laugh)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:12 am

Just finished this one tonight. Great show and yes I'm working my way backward in between your new podcasts. Helpful info on how to deal with troublesome players and getting past the steel wall.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/