Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Eibon
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MU Podcast 027 – 6-Word Brainstorming

Post by Eibon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:57 am

Not quite what you're looking for is Rowton House, a large workhouse in Camden Town, with grounds, but the web site comes with maps and photos which would make it a good setting for something! If Gibson was connected to the workhouse board of governors he could use the workhouse buildings, and he would have a ready supply of victims no one will miss! If the Elder Things need to infect a human to grow (I imagine the human is "compost" for the vegetable creatures to draw nutrients from rather than they must combine with a human), then the closed environment of a workhouse full on vulnerable people would be an ideal base.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/RowtonCamden/

Quote: 'now known as Arlington House, is still used as a hostel and familiarly referred to by its largely Irish population as "The Mickey" or "Dracula's Castle".'

The only problem with Lord Leverhulme's house, "The Hill", is that it is at North End Road, Hampstead, which is a fair trek from Camden Town, to the north northwest.

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Very fun episode & really neat way of generating some ideas on this. While listening to this & thought of something (that might have spawned from some story either from the X-files or Star Trek tv series) in the story generation of this is that when you got to the part about the victims/deaths in the start of the discussion is why some of the people might die instead of getting into the cultist/follower status, thought I'd share it here so others who are just getting to this might find it useful.

Idea goes that the victims are getting picked by being at the bad place/bad time category, some get infected from the source while others would have the infection delayed or stopped completely due to some existing disease or physiological condition that's uncommon but somehow interferes enough with the infection to just eventually doom the person. This would be good in the story to make a small handful of people resistant for a short time before the disease vs infection fighting inside them kills them in maybe a few hours-day so they could have tried to stop it in the past/present (or if the disease/condition is advanced in it's timeline then the infection just kills them). Other illnesses like the flu or other fever inducing things could speed up the infection's effect.

This could also play into being a greater more real threat to the players in learning that people with some disease (in that area where the victims were at) were left alone once the infection source starts realizing they'd not be as good to help spread the infection. So there might be some clues there but at a risk of getting some common messy uncommon disease while gathering clues on what might be happening.

two quick edits thought of while driving over for food- one is the scene from the 3rd Ginger Snaps film (quite good even though story is rough similarity to the first of werewolves but this time it's in a Canadian colonial fort of the 1700-1800s instead of the first set in modern day), where in the fort the medic had one way of detecting the trace of a werewolf infection in someone which is using leeches. If I could have found a short clip I'd link it but basically the doctor puts the leech on the person they think might be a werewolf after they were attacked, if the leech then mutates thanks to the werewolf blood then the person would just get shot dead at that point. Could work well in the brainstorming idea of how to get the players in detecting the infection but can they if there's some phobias in the group, finding what they don't want to find or the leech changing into something they don't want.

2nd part- Another thing from the monster salad section of the brainstorming is just another idea thrown out there for people to take what they might find useful as this & the one above are just too wicked to keep to myself. Sure the main big bad could summon something but with it being not fully changed, here are some of my thoughts on what could happen: the summon spell could work but as it's not completely changed it might be needing something more (ingredients or more developed parts) to get the spell right making it easier to track down if the players hear about it or following the clues, spell backfires so the wrong creature appears or just 3/4 of it (which would make it rather pissed off if it was still functional), spell backfires so it lasts a certain time before it vanishes or has to go back before it gets hostile, wrong spell becomes a portal to somewhere or something really wrong for everyone, best of all is that it's summoned but inside the Thames river resulting in it destroying part of the tunnels to get to where it needs to go.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 am

As I've slowly been going through many different podcasts I do want to recommend (as it's brought up here with the magazine) to those new to Call of Cthulhu is the Unspeakable Oath podcast. The stuff they have is hours of solid information & fun. Still taking some notes down on the one episode devoted to just building horror in a CoC game & podcasts like this go quite well with the magazine/pdf issues.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)