MU Podcast 028 - Digital Cthulhu

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 028 - Digital Cthulhu

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 am

ImageThis episode circles back to the scenario we improvised in our previous show for some corrections, tweaks and modifications. For our first sponsor-suggested side topic, we jack in to the virtual gaming world to explore some of the digital tools you can use for role playing online. You also get a spoiler-free review of Atomic Age, a trip to the Bestiary for a peek at Ubbo-Sathla, and more!

Campus Crier

• The Achtung! Cthulhu Kickstarter will wrap up 2 days after release of this episode!

• Also, check out the details on this [url=ttp://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elitecards ... y?ref=live]Rise of Cthulhu: Battle for New York City[/url] new game. Want.

The Doom that Came to Fiddle Creek

• And, check out this Kickstarter for a new short film called Miskatonic University, inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

• A hearty shout out to a couple of new sponsors -- thank you "DrDarkspeed" and "WitchDoctor," a pair of pseudonyms that would make a great Lovecraftian superhero duo. Anyway, thanks very much, guys!

• And, announcing the call for submissions on our yet-to-be-named newsletter. Check out the details here.

Card Catalog

This week’s hidden online resource for keepers is:

Online newspaper clipping generators from Fodey.com and Presentation Magazine. Great for creating in-game news items, clues and props for your sessions.

Mutable Deceptions, Vol 1: Jazz Age Newspapers

Lecture Series

The lecture from Dr. Gerard at the Miskatonic University History Department, is on “Saint John’s Dance”

Review

Jon gives us a spoiler-free review of the much-anticipated Chaosium release, Atomic Age Cthulhu.

Bestiary

And this week's secret Bestiary word is: Ubbo-Sathla! Ahhhhhh!

Sponsor Side Topic!

For our first sponsor-suggested side topics, we dive into an idea EddyPo gave us as part of his generous sponsorship back a few weeks ago.

Based on his request, we bring you a veritable buffet of goodies for making your Skype or Google Hangout games...er...more better.

Syrinscape

MorphVox Pro

Screenleap

Dropbox

Roll20

Maptool

Google Hangouts

Mumble

Invisible Castle -- a virtual die roller to keep players and Keepers honest. Great for play-by-post games.

Call Graph

Call Burner

Pamela

Infrno -- An online gaming community where you can recruit players or join VOIP games. Games are usually played over Skype, and they have their own shared tabletop application that you can try out.

Obsidian Portal -- a campaign Wiki that you can use for ongoing games on or off VOIP. Nice for keeping track of long narratives and scads of NPCs.
What we didn't know at the time of recording was that Obsidian Portal is having a Kickstarter to rebuilt and update the entire site!

Main Topic

We went back into our 6-word improv adventure and looked at a number of the historical accuracy issues we created last time.
And since we recorded, we found our tunnel system. We will be using the Camden Catacombs for the scenario. There are pictures here from an Urban Explorer.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

joerg73
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 028 - Digital Cthulhu

Post by joerg73 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I listened to your latest podcast on my 3 hour drive to a customer and I'm very pleased what I heard there.

I recently got Atomic-Age Cthulhu in my local game store and read it thoroughly - except for the scenario parts, which I only read a little of. I'm really amazed at the details in this book and can't wait to try some of those seeds in there with my local group.

But that best thing for me were the tons of nice tools for online play and recording software you presented. I'll take a look at those and will mostly likely find something for me in those tools.

Having return home just now, I just wanted to drop you these lines. You are doing a great job. It's been fun to listen to you guys week after week. And I'm proud to be a sponsor.

Looking forward to the next show.

Best regards

Joerg

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Thank you so much. To be sure, there are a ton of tools we didn't mention. If anyone has experience with, or knows of other tools, let us know here.

jovial1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jovial1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm new to the podcast, and to the Call of Cthulhu community as a whole. I'e always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu, but never known anyone else who played or ran the game. I finally decided to go out on a limb, buying the pdf of the core rulebook, and shortly after I found my way to the podcast as well. I have a group of friends that I plan to act as keeper for, when circumstances allow.

This episode is something that's given me hope to look into online gaming. I'd really like to play the game before trying to run it. Does anyone around here run the game online? I looked on Infrno, but saw that there was little activity listed. Is this the case? I'm planning to register and post over there but I figured I'd say something here first.

Thanks for your time!

Jason

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:52 am

jovial1 wrote:I'm new to the podcast, and to the Call of Cthulhu community as a whole. I'e always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu, but never known anyone else who played or ran the game. I finally decided to go out on a limb, buying the pdf of the core rulebook, and shortly after I found my way to the podcast as well. I have a group of friends that I plan to act as keeper for, when circumstances allow.

This episode is something that's given me hope to look into online gaming. I'd really like to play the game before trying to run it. Does anyone around here run the game online? I looked on Infrno, but saw that there was little activity listed. Is this the case? I'm planning to register and post over there but I figured I'd say something here first.

Thanks for your time!

Jason
Hey Jason, welcome t'you. There are a few regular CoC keepers on Infrno - keep your eyes peeled. I'd jump in and offer to run one myself, but I'm stuck in a bit of a busy season.

BTW, if you're inspired, there's a thread for introducing yourself, over in Freshmen Orientation, I think. Not required, of course, but it'd be great to hear more about your gaming perspective and what draws you to horror/lovecraft gaming.

Anyway, poke around on here and you might find takers for an online session.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 am

"...the Unbegotten Source may have spawned the prototypes of all earthly life, an idea also whispered of about the elder things. It was from Ubbo-Sathla’s tissues that the elder things created their dread shoggoths."

Oddly enough, this is almost EXACTLY how I responded when my son recently asked me where babies come from.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:53 am

Scriven wrote:"...the Unbegotten Source may have spawned the prototypes of all earthly life, an idea also whispered of about the elder things. It was from Ubbo-Sathla’s tissues that the elder things created their dread shoggoths."

Oddly enough, this is almost EXACTLY how I responded when my son recently asked me where babies come from.
Hah! Wait, did you just call your wife an 'unbegotten source'? Is that like a pet name?
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:
Scriven wrote:"...the Unbegotten Source may have spawned the prototypes of all earthly life, an idea also whispered of about the elder things. It was from Ubbo-Sathla’s tissues that the elder things created their dread shoggoths."

Hah! Wait, did you just call your wife an 'unbegotten source'? Is that like a pet name?
Ahhhh....so THAT explains why I woke up with that frying pan-shaped dent in the side of my head...
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm very interested in Syrinscape but am currently having problems downloading it. (I've contacted the author).
What sound libraries are you using with it?

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Here are the names of themes I have installed:
Witchwood
Battle
Dungeon
Peaceful Forest Daytime
Peaceful Forest Night-time
Storm
Spooky
Flooded Cavern
Flooded Cavern Battle
Dragon Fight
Brindol
Bells

Several of those are still available on the site, but are now under a pay model.
After the program is out of its beta stages and is available again in its new form, then I'll create some soundscapes for it that will specifically work for Call of Cthulhu settings. I don't want to start making them just to have the program change on how it uses the saved soundscape files, though. I'll be sure to add updates to the show as the program moves forward in its progress.