MU Podcast 028 - Digital Cthulhu

Discussion about podcast episodes
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: MU Podcast 028 - Digital Cthulhu

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 pm

halforc80 wrote:Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring with regards to online gaming and sound effects. I currently use Softrope, which is free soundboard software that seems to be perpetually stuck in beta. It doesn't come with any of it's own sounds, so you have to go searching for stuff to download or buy some foley cds, but it does allow for layering of sound files, random playing, etc, and lists everything as 'Scenes' on the front page.

I use it with Skype, playing through the Stereo Mix feature of Windows 7, so the players can hear both my voice and whatever sounds I'm playing through Softrope. Works pretty well so far! :)
Cool! I can't wait to check it out. I have really missed playing with sound in Skype games vs. Meatspace games, so these tools are a huge bonus.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 am

I wanted to address Dr. Gerard. Next time get your facts right. What you described as St. John dance is nothing more that the haaaarlem shake!!!!

"Con los terroristas..." LoL

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:24 am

WiseWolf wrote:I wanted to address Dr. Gerard. Next time get your facts right. What you described as St. John dance is nothing more that the haaaarlem shake!!!!

"Con los terroristas..." LoL
:cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance: :cthulhudance:
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:46 am

I'd like to recommend Scene Sound, a sound mixer for table-top RPGs.

http://scenesound.cyclobster.com/

The soundtrack for John Wick's Curse of the Yellow Sign, Act 1: Digging for a Dead God is available for download for Scene Sound on that site.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the link, Thomas. That's a great looking program.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Logar
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Logar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:39 am

Quick question? Is there san loss for a Murph RAVE photo?
Because I'm just dying to see one .... as a matter of fact I'd pay big money for it.

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Jason,

send me a pm and I might have a game for you-depending on how you feel about playing on Aussie time :D

I'm catching up on my episodes ad I'm ashamed to say I forgot to say happy birthday to MU podcast,happy birthday to my favorite podcast ...and how good was this episode! Lots of great info for anyone thinking of running a game online.

Oh and Murph,I came home from work tonight and announced I was officially "amazing" and errr lets say the silence was deafening. :cry:

jovial1 wrote:I'm new to the podcast, and to the Call of Cthulhu community as a whole. I'e always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu, but never known anyone else who played or ran the game. I finally decided to go out on a limb, buying the pdf of the core rulebook, and shortly after I found my way to the podcast as well. I have a group of friends that I plan to act as keeper for, when circumstances allow.

This episode is something that's given me hope to look into online gaming. I'd really like to play the game before trying to run it. Does anyone around here run the game online? I looked on Infrno, but saw that there was little activity listed. Is this the case? I'm planning to register and post over there but I figured I'd say something here first.

Thanks for your time!

Jason
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Paul Fricker
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Paul Fricker » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Keeper Murph you are a star. Your comment about sitting opposite a 300 pound gorilla picking at his eczema scabs while he portrays a 15-year old girl made me smirk and flinch at the same time. Who needs cosmic horror when you have that image? And yes, I think I've been there :|

By the way, where can a get a bottle of this Unbegotten Sauce you mentioned? Is it good with fish and chips?
One of the Good Friends of Jackson Elias (a Call of Cthulhu podcast)

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Paul Fricker wrote:Your comment about sitting opposite a 300 pound gorilla [...]
That reminds me of a GM, and sometimes player, I've had. Big, fat, always sweating, always smelling of sweat, had none, or next to none, concept of personal space, so he would often sit uncomfortably close to other people, often blowing his nose in a roll of toilet-paper he always kept close to him, his appartment littered with empty pizza-boxes and other garbage so you always had to watch out where you step, his kitchen sink always full with undone somewhat crusty dishes, still a fairly nice guy, so you tried to ignore all that as well as you could. He had this thing of always blaming other people for his own flaws, which made him lose players one after the other, as when you had been made the target, you had no will to hang out with him anymore. We've have had no contact with him since then.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Really glad for this episode as I've been looking around for people locally for CoC games & had a hell of a time finding any from the local comic/game stores as well as looking online postings. Being fairly familiar with tech & used skype a bunch of times for assorted group meetings with friends/coworkers so I'm wondering what else I might need for getting ready for any skype games aside from dropbox. Anyone have any other recommended software or things for skype to make the game go great (or at least not have me or anyone else diving into tabletop games online struggling to get everything set up right before the game starts)?
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)