MU Podcast 035 – 7th Ed Postmortem

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: MU Podcast 035 – 7th Ed Postmortem

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

Haven't read Ruins, but I have read both Relic books. I love them both.
Be aware that they did the usual stuff when adapting for the movie. Most of the charm was pulled from the story to make it more simplistic for the masses.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I have Relic, but sadly haven't read it yet. Putting it on my list. Didn't know about the sequel too.

Hmmmm...is this another show topic developing? Non-Lovecraft/mythos-canon books that are Lovecraftian?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 am

trevlix wrote:Hmmmm...is this another show topic developing? Non-Lovecraft/mythos-canon books that are Lovecraftian?

I like this idea.

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

trevlix wrote:Hmmmm...is this another show topic developing? Non-Lovecraft/mythos-canon books that are Lovecraftian?
Almost any book by Clive Barker, IMO.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Thomas R. Knutsson wrote:Almost any book by Clive Barker, IMO.
Agreed. He's one of the most original horror writers in existance, IMO. His Books of Blood are amazing, and surprisingly there are some good adaptations of his movies. Hellraiser, Candyman and Lord of Illusions jumps to my mind.

If you guys do decide to do a show on books, please solicit ideas. I have a shelf full of them I can recommend! :)
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

trevlix wrote:
Thomas R. Knutsson wrote:Almost any book by Clive Barker, IMO.
Agreed. He's one of the most original horror writers in existance, IMO. His Books of Blood are amazing, and surprisingly there are some good adaptations of his movies. Hellraiser, Candyman and Lord of Illusions jumps to my mind.
I love the four first Hellraiser movies and the movie Night Breed.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

You have to include Laird Barron, then. His stories are highly Lovecraftian, but contain no named Mythos entities.

William Browning Spencer is another good choice. One of his novels -- Résumé With Monsters -- does use the names of various Elder Gods, but most of his work skirts around the details of the Mythos while keeping very much with the tone of it.

And, of course, Thomas Ligotti captures the nihilism, archaic tone and strangeness of Lovecraft's work without being especially Lovecraftian in content.

R.J. MacReady
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by R.J. MacReady » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 pm

While most don’t have an obvious Lovecraft influence, some Italian Giallo films of the late 60s and 1970s share some Lovecraftian tropes like a lone investigator type caught up in solving a mystery (usually gruesome, bizarre murders) that occur by some unexplainable or supernatural force. Some of the great Italian horror directors such as Argento, Fulci and Bava all cut their teeth and made their names in the genre. A few of my favorites that come to mind immediately are “Bird with the Crystal Plumage” “House by the Cemetery” and “Deep Red.” Giallo films also have some of the greatest titles in film such as “Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key” and my personal favorite “Don’t Torture a Duckling.”

Also I must concur with Keeper Jon in being surprised that John Carpenter’s The Thing wasn’t mentioned. It's a titan and I think the greatest Lovecraft film (not from his source material) ever made. Of course I may be a bit biased, if the forum handle and profile pic didn’t give that away.
“What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams.”

― Werner Herzog

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm

trevlix wrote: Agreed. He's one of the most original horror writers in existance, IMO. His Books of Blood are amazing, and surprisingly there are some good adaptations of his movies. Hellraiser, Candyman and Lord of Illusions jumps to my mind.
Lord of Illusions is an awesome movie, I rate it even higher than Hellraiser 1 or 2 (and that's saying quite a bit). Been trying to convert it into a Cthulhu adventure for a while now, maybe one day.

A couple of movies that are not Lovecraftian as such, but have a great atmosphere:

The Ninth Gate
This has one of the best Lovecraftian atmospheres ever put to film. Still need to get the book, even if it apparently is quite different from them movies.

Eyes Wide Shut
This is not very much Lovecraftian at all, but there are a few scenes that make feel very much so, don't wanna spoil anything, definitely worth the watch.

I'll post some Lovecraftian movies tomorrow from work if I have time.

shownotfound
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by shownotfound » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

R.J. MacReady wrote: Also I must concur with Keeper Jon in being surprised that John Carpenter’s The Thing wasn’t mentioned. It's a titan and I think the greatest Lovecraft film (not from his source material) ever made. Of course I may be a bit biased, if the forum handle and profile pic didn’t give that away.
I don't think it's a DIRECT rip-off (or homage, depending on who you talk to) but I would consider John Carpenter's The Thing is the best adaptation we've seen (thus far) of Mountains of Madness. I really really hope the del Toro one finally gets over the hump and materializes!