MU Podcast 038 – Con-Madness!

Discussion about podcast episodes
KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: MU Podcast 038 – Con-Madness!

Post by KeeperMurph » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Scott thanks for the kind words man. We really enjoy doing the show and are tickled pink that people love listening!

Cthuhugh
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Cthuhugh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:42 am

..and I've listened to the rest of the podcast,listening to enthused buddies talking about stuff gave me a h*** *n err buzz. I'm kind of in that transition phase where I came for the RPG and stayed for the HPL literature and the game.I'm currently listening to At the Mountains of Madness and I love it so far.

The only way I'll get to Providence is indeed if the gentleman smuggles me in his bag.Bang for buck wise I'd undoubtedly get more value from Gencon than anything else.While I have you here can I relate a short story from Gencon 2011?

On the Saturday night I turned up with generic tickets for a "You Too Can Cthulhu" event (I failed to secure a spot when tickets went up).Unfortunately I didn't get in to the session however I did get to participate in what I can only describe as a CoC LARP! We sat in seats in two rows of two (about 32 seats) that simulated a small passenger jet. At the front of the plane was a plasma tv that had flight details and the like.

We were given character sheets that had included on them back-story,hidden agendas and some other stuff.When the "game" started it was bedlam-I don't remember all the details of the plot,it involved our plane being possessed by a Native American spirit with monsters in the cargo hold.I think we were meant to crash the plane to save humanity,we landed the plane safely and caused the end of the world.

Needless to say it was a absolute blast,we had one guy who played the Flight Attendant who,while we were all going crazy went up and down the "plane' all night serving real booze! It was just the group of us coming out with whatever we felt like saying/doing with some scripted events thrown in.Clearly some of the participants had done this sort of thing before,for quite a while I wondered what the f**k was going on.By the end of it I was as immersed as the rest,looking back I think it was probably the highlight of the con for me.
Steve Highfield in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario. Fenton Beanland in the Call of Cthulhu "The Inheritor " scenario.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:58 am

I so want to get to GenCon first. I'm already thinking of Necronomicon for 2017.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 am

Scott Dorward wrote:A great show as ever, chaps! It gripped me and left me envious in equal measure. I shall make it out to Gen Con one year.

Dan: the reason why Paul treated you like a celebrity is that you are one! If it weren't for the influence of the MU podcast, we never would have started our own, and we're all in awe of how well you lot manage to make it work.

I know that at least two of the three scenarios in Missed Dues and Other Adventures (the limited scenario book only for Gen Con 2013) will be made available in other forms. As you mentioned, Blackwater Creek will be in the Keeper's screen; I think the only changes will be artwork and proper maps instead of the roughs that Paul and I did. Paul's scenario, The Moonchild, will be included in Nameless Horrors )along with The Space Between, which got mentioned as well). This one will be heavily revised, as the version in Missed Dues was a first draft, unedited, and Paul is changing some aspects of it based on the games he ran at Gen Con. You should be able to see the finished versions of all these early in the new year.
Looking forward to seeing all your new work in print, Mr. Dorward. And the pod love is mutual for GFOJA - hoping that fall will make pottery sheds more pleasant for you on recording days. Might we hear some thoughts on cons in the show sometime? Do you attend them yourself? Have a favorite one based in the UK?
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

Cthuhugh wrote:..and I've listened to the rest of the podcast,listening to enthused buddies talking about stuff gave me a h*** *n err buzz. I'm kind of in that transition phase where I came for the RPG and stayed for the HPL literature and the game.I'm currently listening to At the Mountains of Madness and I love it so far.

The only way I'll get to Providence is indeed if the gentleman smuggles me in his bag.Bang for buck wise I'd undoubtedly get more value from Gencon than anything else.While I have you here can I relate a short story from Gencon 2011?

On the Saturday night I turned up with generic tickets for a "You Too Can Cthulhu" event (I failed to secure a spot when tickets went up).Unfortunately I didn't get in to the session however I did get to participate in what I can only describe as a CoC LARP! We sat in seats in two rows of two (about 32 seats) that simulated a small passenger jet. At the front of the plane was a plasma tv that had flight details and the like.

We were given character sheets that had included on them back-story,hidden agendas and some other stuff.When the "game" started it was bedlam-I don't remember all the details of the plot,it involved our plane being possessed by a Native American spirit with monsters in the cargo hold.I think we were meant to crash the plane to save humanity,we landed the plane safely and caused the end of the world.

Needless to say it was a absolute blast,we had one guy who played the Flight Attendant who,while we were all going crazy went up and down the "plane' all night serving real booze! It was just the group of us coming out with whatever we felt like saying/doing with some scripted events thrown in.Clearly some of the participants had done this sort of thing before,for quite a while I wondered what the f**k was going on.By the end of it I was as immersed as the rest,looking back I think it was probably the highlight of the con for me.
First, I'd like to buy a vowel for your foul language puzzle, there. A haze? A hemp? A hake? What's in there?

Your airplane larp sounds amazing. There was some kind of thing like that going on at NecronomiCon, but we didn't get to see it. Supposedly, it's going to end up podcasted somewhere.

Hoping to catch you there next year in Indy. I'll hitch hike or car jack if I have to.
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 am

Keeper Jon wrote:I so want to get to GenCon first. I'm already thinking of Necronomicon for 2017.
I'm staying neutral in the emerging MUP con debate here, but it's worth mentioning that there's no guarantee or even talk of one in 2017 yet. I suspect Neils could (understandably) burn out after a couple of these, and without him it could be tough to find someone equally driven, local and self-abusive to lead.
Plays for Keepers

Scott Dorward
Senior
Senior

Post by Scott Dorward » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

Dr. Gerard wrote:Looking forward to seeing all your new work in print, Mr. Dorward. And the pod love is mutual for GFOJA - hoping that fall will make pottery sheds more pleasant for you on recording days. Might we hear some thoughts on cons in the show sometime? Do you attend them yourself? Have a favorite one based in the UK?
Thanks!

The weather here has turned chilly, and Matt has moved from complaining about the heat in the shed to saying it's too cold without missing a beat. It's going to be a challenge when we record in the dead of winter to see if we can edit out the sound of chattering teeth.

I go to a lot of UK conventions, but they're much smaller in scale. For example, Paul and I will be attending Concrete Cow in Milton Keynes this weekend (it's a mile from my house, and I'm one of the organisers, so I should go), and it will have around 50 attendees and one trade table. It's a lot of fun, but there isn't much to report on.

The best one to discuss would probably be Dragonmeet, at the end of November. That and UK Games Expo in July are the two big trade shows, and are filled with seminars, traders and general industry discussion. I'll see if we can gather some news there this year.

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Gladius » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Cthuhugh wrote: On the Saturday night I turned up with generic tickets for a "You Too Can Cthulhu" event (I failed to secure a spot when tickets went up).Unfortunately I didn't get in to the session however I did get to participate in what I can only describe as a CoC LARP! We sat in seats in two rows of two (about 32 seats) that simulated a small passenger jet. At the front of the plane was a plasma tv that had flight details and the like.

I played in one of their games at GC2012 - probably in the same room. We started out as a bunch of miners/diggers building the NYC subway system in the early 1900s. They had chairs lined up back to back as if we were sitting in rail cars. We ended up dying horribly a few minutes later. Cut to the present day, we're handed our character sheets, and the remainder of the night played out in the present day, with us as guests of the NYC rail authority taking a tour of a recently discovered "lost" subway station, with artifacts on display, light food and alcohol being served.

The entire game was played out live action, with lots of running out in the hallway and through a nearby janitor's closet, crawling under tables and climbing the walls (literally, in my case). Definitely sign up for one of these, even if the idea of LARP scares you a bit - it's none of that "I cast magic missile at the darkness" and throwing spell packets/whacking people with foam stuff - there were very few cases where the keepers rolled dice, it was mostly roleplaying.

TAK
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TAK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 am

Still listening to the latest episode, but it sounds like the cons were a blast. I might have to consider the 2015, depending on how this new job turns out.

BTW, I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale, the pilot just sounds like a bunch of disconnected sentences of weird stuff, I hope it doesn't continue the same way cos I did not find it very entertaining.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 am

TAK wrote: BTW, I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale, the pilot just sounds like a bunch of disconnected sentences of weird stuff, I hope it doesn't continue the same way cos I did not find it very entertaining.
I was the same. I haven't listened to beyond the first episode yet.