MU Community Live Play- MUTS- Devil's Cave

Discussion about podcast episodes
Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Community Live Play- MUTS- Devil's Cave

Post by Gladius » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:40 am

I'd be interested as well, I haven't listened to it. I'll keep an eye out in the other subforum for a second group.

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Howard wrote:Great show gentleman! I loved the setting. During the play, the urge to follow "Scooby Doo" clues(the giant hoof print), versus exploring the cave scientifically was interesting. Curbing player decisions based on metagaming and labelling NPCs as red herrings seemed a struggle until...that point...The post game discussion was great, I wish more actual plays allowed time for this and in addition, included a "Pre"-game discussion to get the group on the same page before the scenario begins. Well played fellas, well kept Tyler!
:fhtagn:
I just finished listening to this game again myself -- I'm glad we took time to discuss the scenario further at the end of the session, too. Listening to it the second time around (while trying to ignore my heavy breathing -- combination of bad allergies and microphone placement), I began to think more deeply about how difficult it can be to entirely avoid metagaming, especially in modern-day adventures where the accretion of certain pieces of popular culture (Scooby Doo, X-Files, etc.) is a given. While I wholeheartedly think that metagaming is best avoided in any RPG, it also seems to me that certain kinds of cultural tropes that might smack of metagaming can very well occur naturally and in-character in modern-day games. That's perhaps even more true for Gen X'ers and Millenials, who grew up on shows like Lost and X-Files, and are increasingly used to thinking in terms of the Weird and uncanny. I could very well picture Tyler, my character in Devil's Cave, as a veteran of Saturday morning Scooby Doo binges, hence the constant references. Jinkies!

I know this isn't exactly what Howard was driving at in his comment, but I'm wondering how other Keepers running modern-day scenarios accommodate or come to terms with the growing mass of popular culture may have legitimately inured so many modern-day PCs to the idea of the fantastic. As an aside, I suppose this is the genius of Stross's "The Laundry" stories, which acknowledge the presence of the Weird in popular culture, but go on to point out that pop culture's flirtation with the Weird is superficial and doesn't come anywhere near the full enormity of the truth.

Anyway, I'm sure somebody else has brought all of this up before -- and more coherently, too. Just a couple random thoughts.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 pm

I do realize an actual play podcast consists of friends playing a game and having fun, however, my dysfunctional comments sometimes lean towards actual "Production" quality, as if. As if, your professionals being paid. I am sorry for always coming off like that. I did a lot of crappy communication projects in college and can't get the thought process out of my way. I'm also the "Story" style keeper as opposed to the "sandbox"...referee.
There will always be players trying to figure out the plot or the antagonist from the get go. There will always be players who play every character the same. The post discussion left me thinking that if..before the scenario ran, instead of just introductions, the players, OOC agree that they are scientists hired to explore a natural phenomenon.....and let the keeper bring the events to them....it would come off more genuine. IMO. I also think "Actual Play Podcasts" are still in they're infancy and the standard production needs work. Character introductions, Keeper briefing......go,......I had fun....same time next week?....see ya-out. You could easily add character introductions, character relationship, setting relationship, OOC focus(this is our goal), keeper briefing, go, post completion discussion-out. For example.
Once again, apologies, there is nothing currently wrong with anything. Game on my brothers :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

I haven't caught up on our AP feeds yet, so haven't listened to this episode...but Howard's comment inspires me to respond. I really love APs that include player discussion and Keeper's diaries, so would support more of that anytime the crew is able. Jeff O. does a great job with this on Gaming Grunts, and I always look forward to his inserts during campaigns. And it's great to have a "hot wash" session with players to talk about reasons for choices and how players responded to the scenario. Anyway, looking forward to hearing it!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Howard wrote:I do realize an actual play podcast consists of friends playing a game and having fun, however, my dysfunctional comments sometimes lean towards actual "Production" quality, as if. As if, your professionals being paid. I am sorry for always coming off like that. I did a lot of crappy communication projects in college and can't get the thought process out of my way. I'm also the "Story" style keeper as opposed to the "sandbox"...referee.
Didn't take any of you comments as disfunctional at all.
There will always be players trying to figure out the plot or the antagonist from the get go. There will always be players who play every character the same. The post discussion left me thinking that if..before the scenario ran, instead of just introductions, the players, OOC agree that they are scientists hired to explore a natural phenomenon.....and let the keeper bring the events to them....it would come off more genuine. IMO. I also think "Actual Play Podcasts" are still in they're infancy and the standard production needs work. Character introductions, Keeper briefing......go,......I had fun....same time next week?....see ya-out. You could easily add character introductions, character relationship, setting relationship, OOC focus(this is our goal), keeper briefing, go, post completion discussion-out. For example.
I agree. I tried to do that in this scenario in that the PCs have a reason to be nosey, as well as a reason to not involve law enforcement or just leave. Understanding there's an unspoken agreement between Keepers and players that they will follow the weird stuff, IMO its always good to help the players along and give them the reasons to stay and investigate, or better yet, the reasons why they can't leave.

The end discussion was actually a fluke. I think we were winding down and just started talking. This was our first game together, although listening to the end discussions, you couldn't tell. I'm glad others liked listening to it as I debated on leaving it in.

Quality-wise, I'll just say that this was my first time recording an AP so any problems in that arena fall solely on me. Any pointers and/or tips are very much appreciated!

Also, Keeper Dan added the intro music - thank you! Its very cool!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:36 pm

You're welcome. I prefer to add an open and close to all the audio on the feeds. That's what makes a delay in getting things out there. :)
I want to do Keeper Diaries for my MAPS games, but haven't had the spare time to do so.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Great show, the Keeper & Players managed to create a script better than any Sci-Fi Channel 'Movie of the Week'. Would love to see it turned into an HPHLS production...
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Graham wrote:Great show, the Keeper & Players managed to create a script better than any Sci-Fi Channel 'Movie of the Week'. Would love to see it turned into an HPHLS production...
I take that as one of the highest compliments anyone could give. Thank you!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/