MUP 044 - What a Twist!

Discussion about podcast episodes
trevlix
Investigator
Investigator
Re: MUP 044 - What a Twist!

Post by trevlix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:I have a copy of the recent DVD release -- didn't realize it had been cut! Bastards! Any idea what was left out?
It looks like various versions have had different things cut. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Emmet_Otte ... _Christmas tells what is missing.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Citysliker
Junior
Junior

Post by Citysliker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:49 pm

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (566.07KiB)Viewed 16587 times
Hey guys,

So we finally did it and dived into the world of RPGs.

We just ran The Haunting, with my wife and step-son, the very first time either of them had experienced any type of RPG. Neither of them had ever heard of D&D before never mind CoC!

Character generation went great, my wife was a New York Author with attitude and my lad went for an aged English Psychologist with a sword stick...

They really got into the early part and actually roleplaying was great, and my step son really got it straight off and made lots of notes, took on a voice for the character and really nailed all the little clues/

Only issue was they totally lost patience with the locked doors at the Corbitt House and then went straight to the basement and bypassed all the fun in the other rooms.

My fault really for not guiding them but it was my first GM role in 20+ years so I learned a lot.

I even managed to sneak a Cryptocurium item in as a prop to lead to the next scenario.

The first step into a larger world !!! :fhtagn:

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:42 am

Fantastic! If you all had fun, you didn't do it wrong. Hope more is ahead soon for you guys!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

zombiemaster
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by zombiemaster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 pm

So I just got caught up to this episode. I should add a few things about the scenario I run that has the scifi/fantasy twist. It's a one shot scenario and I run it at cons. It also happens to be the first scenario I've ever written, so it was an experiment.

Great episode and it gave me a lot to think about going forward into new scenarios.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:17 pm

zombiemaster wrote:So I just got caught up to this episode. I should add a few things about the scenario I run that has the scifi/fantasy twist. It's a one shot scenario and I run it at cons. It also happens to be the first scenario I've ever written, so it was an experiment.

Great episode and it gave me a lot to think about going forward into new scenarios.
After listening to the episode again recently, I realized we were mostly down on twists and didn't offer enough pros. I also hope you didn't feel we just shot down your idea of switching genres in mid stream. It could totally work, and it sounds like you made it happen. I just wanted to be cautious about recommending that for everyone. There are certainly pitfalls, but it's not impossible. And hearing that you did it at a con -- I think you can get away with a lot at a con because people show up ready for just about anything.
Plays for Keepers

Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 am

Hey all! I'm just getting around to catching up with some older episodes. I have a RP moment and a twist that I like that I thought I would share.

1. The RP moment was my last regular D&D table. We were playing an evil adventuring party. My character was a Tiefling Bard whose parents had cursed to look like a Bullywog. I actually rolled an 18 for my Charisma, and eventually between leveling and items, my Charisma was ridiculous. I also liked having my character know a bunch of languages so I could try to Bluff or Persuade just about anyone we came across. So our DM had prepared this pretty amazing series of encounters for one night. For one of them, he had our characters falling in an endless pit and getting attacked by some sort of demonic creature. He had figured out different combat mechanics to allow for fighting while falling, dealing with line of sight, area effects, etc. He had done a lot of work. I said, "Well, I speak his language, and we're evil also, so I'm gonna try to convince him to join our side instead." Then I came up with a whole argument and rolled a natural 20. He just laughed and improved a new way out of it, and later that demon became my characters drinking buddy.

2. I think my favorite shift of perception type of twist is the book I Am Legend by Matheson. The first time I read the ending of that blew my mind.

technuthulhu
Freshman
Freshman

Post by technuthulhu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Another great episode, thank you.

I wanted to comment on kids and getting them into RPGs. I have three kids the oldest two are 11 and 12 (one of each gender). Several years ago when they were 6 and 7 or 7 and 8, they showed interest in gaming, beyond video games. (yay!) I was playing a fair amount of D&D and D20 modern. At the time, the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and other books and movies we had read or saw were influences. So, when they asked if we could play a game, I had them make up characters… very simplified D&D-like characters. I don't think we even bothered with stats. Just hit points, AC, and a weapon. From there they had melee encounters with critters and we used LEGO minifigs and such. It was all good fun and they enjoyed it a lot. I tried to get them to role play their character. "What do you think your fighter would sound like?" "What would your paladin do in this situation?" Leading questions to get them out of themselves and into a different character. From this simplified game, we played a bunch of board games and card games (EG Munchkin) which has the concept of a class, race, etc. Then of course we played Descent, Arkham horror and others. (Though we have yet to play Mansions of Madness! mores the pity).

Now here we are a few years later and I can't keep up with them. I swear, they'd have me run games for them every day. So, I'm currently running my oldest two and three of their friends through Rise of the Runelords. They've started playing any game my regular gaming group plays. D&D, Numenera, Exalted, BattleTech, some homebrew system, and of course, my favorite CoC! A big thanks to that group for being willing to have younger players and keeping it less blue than it might otherwise become. I only wish I had time to prep enough games to make them happy. :lol: I know they'd love a Star Wars game… there are simply not enough hours in the day.

So, how do you get kids into gaming? What's worked for me is to just have it around and make it fun. Go very rules light when they're young and add complexity. Heck, I'm still doing all the "bookwork" for their characters. I've metered out spells for the wizard slowly so she could get a feel for what do before I give her more. If you have very active kids, keep the game active. Help them be successful. Most of all, have fun!

Best of luck,
--ron.

Bootlegger
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Bootlegger » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Working through the old episodes and just listened to this one.

Just so you know - the "Baby Farm" segment made my blood run cold. Consider me thoroughly freaked out.

Keep up the great work!

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:37 am

Always great to see comments pop up in old episode threads. Yeah, that's a very dark chapter of history, and one of the great horrible examples of policy and unintended consequences gone very wrong. Is it too dark to use in a game? I guess that depends on the group. I doubt you'd see it surface in a published adventure, but I could be wrong.
Plays for Keepers