MU Podcast 055 - The Secrets of our Mistakes

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 055 - The Secrets of our Mistakes

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am

In episode 55, Dan, Jon and Chad take a walk through the Hall of Shame and put some of our worst Keeper decisions on display. It isn't pretty. We also chat about our favorite "secrets of" resource and setting books from Chaosium. Plus an update on our IndieGogo campaign, and more!

Campus Crier (recorded on May 4th, 2014)
  • Ken Hite's Ken Writes About Stuff column for Pelgrane Press is heading into its second subscription year! Next up, he conducts horrific thought experiments on the unnatural denizens known as Dark Young.
  • Filmmaker Jason Huls posted a link to his Lovecraftian short on Google+:
MU students! I just put my Lovecraft-inspired film, Beyond the Basement Door, up on youtube. Wanna take a peek? Might be some arcane secrets inside...
  • Bret Kramer’s Arkham Gazette issue #2 is -- imminent! Keep a lookout for an interview with him about this issue with Murph and Chad in tow.
  • Chaosium has announced another delay in the delivery date for 7th Edition. Sigh. Read all about it on their Kickstarter page here.
  • Note -- in the comments section Mike Mason clarifies the reason for the delay:
The delay caused by art runs us into the fulfilment period for Orient Express (which of course takes hands away from 7th edition, causing a further delay) and also pushes on convention season. It's not a single thing, but a number of conjoining factors I'm afraid. Sorry.

Go, IndieGogo, Go!
The MUP IndieGoGo campaign reached its $1000 funding goal in just under 24 hours!

Thank you to everyone who contributed. We are all overwhelmed. This will get us to GenCon and help us purchase the equipment and website upgrades that we talked about. We’re all pitching in to reduce our costs for GenCon so more of that money will go to those long-term improvements.

And now we’re working on stretch goals!

The campaign will keep running through May 31. If you haven’t checked it out yet, we’re offering perks like original scenarios, story readings, items from Joe Broers and Cryptocurium, and exclusive games at GenCon! We already have one person signed up for Jon’s game.

For our stretch goals, we’re going to add some extra content to push us to the next level. Take a sneak peek at unaired Jimmy & Prof episodes! Get a first listen of spanking new Dr. Gerard history segments! You’ll still get the perks you signed up for if you already contributed, plus any extras that we add on for your levels.

The next level is going to get us some better equipment for the show, and we think you’re going to notice the difference. We’re also putting those funds toward future upkeep costs, so we can sustain our hosting down the road a bit. Plus, we’ll commission a piece of art from MU artist-in-residence Ian McLean.

Feedback
George sends us a message via Speakpipe (the thingy on the right side of the page!) asking how best to incorporate non-Mythos monsters into a campaign or game.

Sponsor Thanks
Steven and Aaron both sent in a donation before the IndieGoGo campaign started up. A big thank you for the help!

Cryptocurium Spot
This week we spotlight a limited run of a new Cthulhu Idol design from Cryptocurium.com.

Side Topic
For your sheer entertainment and edification, we discuss some of our worst flubs as Keepers. Facepalm.

Main Topic
This week's main topic comes to us from Fox01313, who wanted to know what our favorite setting and resource books might be.

Dan's Pick:
What else would you expect? Dan picks the Miskatonic University setting book. Great background for an Arkham sandbox game or flesh to hang on other adventures there. There's also a good guidebook on MU to add to your library.

Chad's Pick:
Though he mentions Kevin Ross's excellent setting book Kingsport: City in the Mists, Chad focuses on the historical background of Mysteries of Tibet monograph, which will got an upgrade recently in its new incarnation as Secrets of Tibet.

Jon's Pick:
Jon goes with the Lovecraft Dreamlands book, and along the way mentions an excellent map of the Dreamlands that he uses for inspiration. There's also an interesting anatomy of a cartographer's process here.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Citysliker
Junior
Junior
Re: MU Podcast 055 - The Secrets of our Mistakes

Post by Citysliker » Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 am

Great episode guys. Especially the subject on Keeper mess ups. I think we have all been through the mill at one time or another and it is comforting to know your not alone in your fails!

RE-Indigogo, fantastic initial response from the community and I hope we keep going. Just a note on a point Chad raised, you want the lovely people of the UK to hand over some Adam Smiths :D

But on a serious note (excuse the pun) the current Pound to Dollar exchange rate is approaching 1.70 which is a 5 year high. This certainly guided my level of donation. (Takes the sting out of putting a big $ number in the pledge box).

As regarding stretch goals, I am really interested in the whole MAPS background as an organisation and a real hook in mechanic. So perhaps a MAPS mini article/document about the history and organisation, famous cases and members and associate members which could be used as helpful NPCs in games?? Brain dump...

BTW Chad (ref Indigogo comment) if it gets to the point where I need Murph for couples counselling then it is already game over :lol:

Thanks as always.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon May 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Ah, MAPS. This is a thing that has not been forgotten. If we can get some stretch goals unveiled, then you may be excited at what you see there. :mrgreen:
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Magnus Nordlander
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Magnus Nordlander » Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 am

Citysliker wrote:But on a serious note (excuse the pun) the current Pound to Dollar exchange rate is approaching 1.70 which is a 5 year high. This certainly guided my level of donation. (Takes the sting out of putting a big $ number in the pledge box).
Indeed, the dollar is extremely cheap right now. That's a very good thing for fundraisers :)

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Tue May 06, 2014 10:28 pm

Though not a Call of Cthulhu mistake, it is my most memorable.

When I was a youngling, my first foray into gaming, Basic D&D, I misread the Wandering Monsters rules and would roll them whenever the characters were engaged in combat. My logic, well fighting makes a ton of noise, why wouldn't it attract other dungeon delvers. Sometimes it was bad (more orcs! or some rats or skeletons come wandering in), sometimes it was good (a party of Dwarves comes to the rescue).

Even after I figured out that I was DMing wrong, I still kept doing it cuz it made so much sense and was a lot of fun.

Right now I'm making lots of Call of Cthulhu mistakes. I'm running 7e and I keep reverting back to Classic mode habits. Especially the combat. The 7e combat system breaks out of the back and forth mode. Old habits are hard to break. :sith: :dwarf: :elf:
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

WellMoustachioed
Freshman
Freshman

Post by WellMoustachioed » Wed May 07, 2014 12:12 am

Great work! We are encouraged by our successes, but grow from our failures.

I wanted you guys to know that you inspired me to switch my languishing D&D group over to the more sexy and eldritch Trail of Cthulhu! I got them convinced last year and we've been going since. I was a proud Keeper during the very first session (with green, non-Lovecrafty players) when my investigators ended the session pointing their guns at each other, rather than the supernatural entity sharing the cave with them. My black Keepers' heart swelled three extra-dimensional sizes that day. I appreciate all the inspiration and wisdom you guys give out.

I'm a bit sad you guys don't dig into Trail as much. I love Call and Cthulhu Dark, but Trail occupies that happy medium for me. If you ever need some guidance on it, let me know. I feel like I grok it pretty well, though the parts that Jon mentioned (combat and sanity) aren't as clearly explained as one would hope. The characters come off as more competent than in Call, but just as fragile. It also has Ken Hite's view on the Mythos baked right in, so the critters stay contradictory and mysterious.

fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fallingtower » Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 am

I tried to give Trail a good shake, I'm not sure if I'm just stuck in the 'if it ain't broke' mode or not. There are a couple things that I don't care for in Trail. The combat, I found that it isn't lethal enough and for some reason rolling a single 6 sided dice just seems odd in Cthulhoid situations. Another thing I think that hurt my first impression was the adventure included in the book. It wasn't Mythos based and to be honest, Cleveland not exactly dripping in Lovecraftian atmosphere.

But the book is inspiring and well written. I've stolen a few things from it, like Drives and the Clue-finding rules.

I wonder if I was to start my Lovecraftian gaming now if Trail would win the battle or not.
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

bowman
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by bowman » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 am

I'm also a big Trail of Cthulhu fan and have run it (and Night's Black Agents) a number of times. I'd be happy to run a one-shot for people interested in trying the system via Hangouts or Skype

bowman
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by bowman » Wed May 07, 2014 1:52 am

And I have a taker, so I'm going to put a session together for Trail newbies. Those interested contact me.

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Good episode.

The discussion of werewolves bought to mind the April episode of Monster Talk which discussed both silver bullets and werewolf lore, including the interesting bit of trivia that to get rid of a witch all you need to do is shoot her portrait with a silver bullet.

Monster Talk - Episode 80:A Wolf in the Fold (Transcript)

Also this book: Project Gutenberg:Werwolves by Elliott O'Donnell (1913)

Including a formula for the Exorcism of Werewolfs:
2 drachms of sulphur.
1/2 oz. of castoreum.
6 drachms of opium.
3 drachms of asafœtida.
1/2 oz. of hypericum.
3/4 oz. of ammonia.
1/2 oz. of camphor.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.