MU Podcast 057 - Mappers' Friends and Lunar Fiends

Discussion about podcast episodes

caddy1071
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: MU Podcast 057 - Mappers' Friends and Lunar Fiends

Post by caddy1071 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Graham wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote:1. Great resource, Graham. Knocked it out of the park with that one.
I'm still exploring it myself, one good trick is to look at the keywords or the creator, they seem to have a lot of Sears catalogs, covering houses (including kit-built mansions), barns and fittings.

I'm linking below to a catalog by a West-Coast maker of Kit-houses, whose main claim to fame these days is that Walt Disney's first California home was one of their products, the advertising at the front gives a good outline of the 'kit house' process.

Pacific's book of homes, vol. 25 (1925)

https://archive.org/details/PacificRead ... svol250001
Oooh - that book is pretty fanatastic - thanks for the direct link. :)

tty!
Cory
Geekery Unbound

Graham
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Graham » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:39 am

As a finale on the Kit-homes material, here are a some articles about the largest of the Sears Houses, the Magnolia, offered between 1918 - 1922, though as the two blog articles show, it was still possible to order from an old catalog.

Syracuse house, which came from a Sears catalog, is one of only seven of its kind in U.S. (2011)

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... _from.html

The Eighth Magnolia - and - It’s In West Virginia! (2013)

http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/201 ... lia-in-wv/

The Eighth Magnolia - and - It’s In West Virginia (Part II)

http://www.searshomes.org/index.php/201 ... a-part-ii/\

Later: Forgot to add illustrations.

Sears: Magnolia (1918-1922)

And what they were trying to out-do:

Stirling: Vernon (1915 - c.1920)

The 1915, 1916 and 1920 Stirling Home catalogs have been added to the 1920s Campaign Resources thread.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad, you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

UnknownEntity
Freshman
Freshman

Post by UnknownEntity » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Hey guys, I heard your discussion on maps and got very excited when I heard you mention Google Sketch up. I'm a student of architecture and I never even realized what a spectacular tool it could be. Not only can sketch up be used to download houses, but you can easily design your own buildings as well. Having trouble explaining the lay out of a building to an online group? Not if you threw together a quick massing model in sketch up! Make some rectangles, add some tags, and you have a map in under twenty minutes. If you want to blow a group's socks off, (And have too much free time on your hands) pick a key room, design it from the furniture to the wall paper and hide the clues INSIDE the model to add whole new layers to the investigation. I've seen Sketch Up pro used in professional environments and can speak from experience it it a relatively easy program to learn. I've built entire apartment complexes, complete with furnishings, windows, and textures down to very fine details. Obviously that's a bit much to do every session, but it's an example of what a powerful tool Sketch up can be with a little imagination.

Going on a slight tangent, Sketch up can be used to make props too. While obviously for in person games nothing compares to plopping down an actual dusty leather-bound tome, for playing online it could prove quite useful. In under an hour you could design a bizarre idol with writing etched into the bottom, or a secret compartment hidden in it's [REDACTED]. Suddenly, you can share a manipulable object with your online group. :science:

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 pm

UnknownEntity wrote:Hey guys, I heard your discussion on maps and got very excited when I heard you mention Google Sketch up. I'm a student of architecture and I never even realized what a spectacular tool it could be. Not only can sketch up be used to download houses, but you can easily design your own buildings as well. Having trouble explaining the lay out of a building to an online group? Not if you threw together a quick massing model in sketch up! Make some rectangles, add some tags, and you have a map in under twenty minutes. If you want to blow a group's socks off, (And have too much free time on your hands) pick a key room, design it from the furniture to the wall paper and hide the clues INSIDE the model to add whole new layers to the investigation. I've seen Sketch Up pro used in professional environments and can speak from experience it it a relatively easy program to learn. I've built entire apartment complexes, complete with furnishings, windows, and textures down to very fine details. Obviously that's a bit much to do every session, but it's an example of what a powerful tool Sketch up can be with a little imagination.

Going on a slight tangent, Sketch up can be used to make props too. While obviously for in person games nothing compares to plopping down an actual dusty leather-bound tome, for playing online it could prove quite useful. In under an hour you could design a bizarre idol with writing etched into the bottom, or a secret compartment hidden in it's [REDACTED]. Suddenly, you can share a manipulable object with your online group. :science:
Damn. I need to look into this.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:37 pm

I've played with SketchUp a little, but it hasn't really "clicked" with me yet. I should look into some other resources to learn the thing. That's fairly low on my list though. I have a ton of other things I need to learn first.
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

WiseWolf
Associate Professor

Post by WiseWolf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I am late on the podcasts again, so I just finished this one and I say....."Challenge accepted" Spanish intro version on the way...

I just need to wait for the WorldCup to finish, there is so much craziness going around that I can't focus.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Woohoo!
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 pm