MU Podcast 058 - Warpo is Kicking it Old School!

Discussion about podcast episodes
Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
MU Podcast 058 - Warpo is Kicking it Old School!

Post by Keeper Dan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 am

In episode 58, Jon, Murf and Dan cover the common issue of replacing dead, mangled, or mad player characters in a long campaign. Then Dan chats with the heads of Warpo Toys, the company that dares to bring us the Cthulhu Mythos toys that 1979 didn't have the guts to give us!

Campus Crier
We have been nominated for a Parsec Award!
http://www.parsecawards.com/

The category we’re going for is:
Best Speculative Fiction Fan or News Podcast (Specific)

(News and commentary podcasts created by and for the fans of a given type of literary or entertainment work or series of works that have elements of speculative fiction (e.g. podcasts focused on H. P. Lovecraft, Buffy The Vampire Slayer or the World of Time).)

We only get a 10 minute clip to showcase our podcast, so we’ll see how it goes. Finalists will be announced in late July, and the winner is announced at at Dragon*Con in Atlanta over Labor Day Weekend, Aug 29 – Sep 1, 2014.

We missed the window to get in on the ENnies this year. :doh: :angry2: :boo:

Jon's new book, Age of Cthulhu 8: Starfall Over the Plateau of Leng Kickstarter is going strong, and is now working its way through stretch goals!

Alumni Dinner signups will continue until July 21st to determine if we can hold it. If we reach the minimum, then we'll continue taking signups until August 1st.
Just go to mu-podcast.com/dinner to sign up.

Card Catalog
HPLHS Live Action Roleplay Notes Archive

Cryptocurium-
ImageLUMINESCENT MI-GO ARTIFACT

From the journal of Prof. Albert M. Wilmarth: “An odd relief sculpture carved from a luminescent stone found on the Mi-Go home planet. Depicts an idealized Mi-Go among yet to be deciphered alien hieroglyphs. Artifact emits a green glow when in darkness.”
Hand cast in solid phosphorescent resin and individually signed and numbered by artist Jason McKittrick
GLOWS IN THE DARK
Item measures 4.25″ x 5.75″
$40 +shipping
http://www.cryptocurium.com/artwork-2/luminescent-mi-go-artifact/

Side Topic- Feedback Questions
Feedback from Wolf-
Hi guys,

„keep writing in“, you said. Be careful what you wish for... Here‘s my next e-mail. Today, I have a question from the perspective of a player.

Our group is still playing „Masks of Nyarlathotep“. After exactly one year real time, we‘ve left New York in a hurry and have arrived in London. Our group has lost two of four PCs, yet. One crippled to the wheelchair, one killed, turned into an undead and cremated by his shaken comrades. The third one narrowly escaped a certain artist‘s relative and is now on the edge of insanity. So far, nothing uncommon for this campaign, I suppose? At this rate, I should be prepared for replacing my character, soon...

Here‘s my question: Which plausible way do you as experienced keepers & players suggest to create backup-characters who have a) a connection to the initial pc-group and b) a motivation to further follow the trail into death and/or madness? And c), how could my initial character hand down the informations he has gathered to the backup? It should neither become meta-gaming nor playing Call of Cthulhu in a „choose your own adventure“ style: The player (me) should not (have to) rely on knowledge he gathered with previous investigators, but there should be a credible way that said predecessor can convey the essential insights (=plot points) to the new character.

Well, that‘s three questions, I hope you don‘t mind. But I believe this topic could be interesting for other, less experienced players, too. Maybe you can discuss this in one of the next podcasts. Thank you for your advice in advance.

Best regards, Wolf

In the discussion, Murf brings up the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion, available to Patrons of Yog-Sothoth.com.

Jon mentions Through the Brazilian Wilderness Or My Voyage Along the River of Doubt, the book by Teddy Roosevelt chronicling his adventure exploring an unmapped tributary of the Amazon.

Other links about this event are

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

Here is a Wiki article on the exploration.

And an NPR story about it: Tracing Roosevelt's Path Down the 'River of Doubt'

There is also Mythos gaming related content. FNH produced a book of the adventure with game notes and character stats, called Cthulhu and The River Of Doubt.

We did a review of it some time ago.

Main Topic
Dan has an interview with Bryan, Eric, and Tommy, founders of Warpo Toys about their new company and their premier line, Legends of Cthulhu. Now on Kickstarter!

http://www.warpo.com/

Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MU Podcast 058 - Warpo is Kicking it Old School!

Post by fox01313 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 am

The figures they did are just insanity blasting amazing. Oh one thing that was mentioned here or in the last episode (listened to them both all day alot & sort of blurred together), with the talk of the oil drill reminded me of one thing Glancy talked about Quiet Please (old time radio) episode called 'The Thing on the Fourbleboard' highly worth listening to & some of the other Quiet Please stuff is quite chilling on a few of them.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Great podcast as usual.

I remember reading the HPLHS LARP notes during work many years ago when I first got into Call of Cthulhu. Amazing stuff. And...did you guys know that Nick Offerman was one of the HPLHS guys back then?
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:16 am

Ron Swanson plays Call of Cthulhu?!!

Oh dear. My brain is esplode.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

viscounteric
Freshman
Freshman

Post by viscounteric » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 am

Great episode as always!

Oddly enought, the last old episode I listened to to catch up was the first mention of the podcast. Please feel free to make that a regular segment, or at least "Teddy Fights the Mythos." Bully!

To add to the answer to Wolf's question: I think it's heatihy, Keeper-approved metagaming if the investigator asks for a not only a peer review of the new investigators background, but also a few subtle hints as to what specific skills/connections/etc they should have. Especially with Masks, the deeper you go into the campaign, the stranger the skill check are from the traditional Library Use, Dodge, Spot Hidden, Weapon of Choice that the average player sets up. Seriously, go through Masks and just track how many odd skills are needed in Kenya, Shanghai, and Australia (and I'm not even counting languages).

Most members of the group are probably going to die anyway, so a replacement investigator with Physics or a dialect or two of Chinese, or Operate Heavy Machinery may help the story along even more than extremely plasible connection with the group.
The log of the CoC games http://gamingwiththegnomies.blogspot.com/p/call-of.html... and some gnomes.

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Congrats on the nomination. Of course I went to the link and nominated you guys in the voting section but found that I could not do that. Heh.

Also, I got a few more "victims" to like your Facebook page.

Another fun episode.

Thanks for doing what ya do.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks for the support, Shannon!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:20 am

I got depressed because I'm a toy collector and a HUGE Lovecraft nerd. I missed the Kickstarter on these because paychecks didn't fall right, and after hearing this episode I began to drown in my sadness and regret. But today, on a whim, I went to Warpo's website just to see if they had them available in their store... they didn't. But they do have the option to become an after the fact backer!! I got in at the cultist level so I'll get all six toys when they ship!!! So excited!

Also... I have the best wife ever. When I told her I spent $111 on toys, she told me that was fine because she needed to go clothes shopping anyways. lol.

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Wordcraftian wrote:I got depressed because I'm a toy collector and a HUGE Lovecraft nerd. I missed the Kickstarter on these because paychecks didn't fall right, and after hearing this episode I began to drown in my sadness and regret. But today, on a whim, I went to Warpo's website just to see if they had them available in their store... they didn't. But they do have the option to become an after the fact backer!! I got in at the cultist level so I'll get all six toys when they ship!!! So excited!

Also... I have the best wife ever. When I told her I spent $111 on toys, she told me that was fine because she needed to go clothes shopping anyways. lol.
Winning!

Wordcraftian
Senior
Senior

Post by Wordcraftian » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Indeed. They already have a place dedicated to them on my man cave wall. Right next to my MU Diploma and acceptance letter.