MU Podcast 067 – Blinded With Science

Discussion about podcast episodes
Odin
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: MU Podcast 067 – Blinded With Science

Post by Odin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Wow.. tardigrade..

That little mouth attachment looks so perfect it looks 3D printed.

Haha http://www.artbytom.com/shop-for-art/Th ... Queen.html

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:45 am

Great show guys though still trying to unravel the intro in morse, quite wild & wouldn't be surprised if something even wilder like Klingon popped up. The morse code instead of raising the bar slightly duct taped expectations to a water heater about to explode & shot it up through the metaphorical roof.

As someone working in publishing/graphic design, I think you're right about the Chaosium kickstarter. They should have focused on the rules first then express while letting people know what kind of delays might be expected with some of the stuff. Now that it's out though, I think people will warm back up to it to see whatever gems are in the new edition.

I've been a few bad Cthulhu games where everyone died, some others where it was just me a lot (pregens but playing the Italian army in WWI getting shot up a bunch on a train), but also plenty of others were everyone made it out okay. I think that between the pulp book for Trail of Cthulhu (Stunning tales if I recall the name) or a general pulpier side of Cthulhu gaming might increase some of the longevity of the characters. True in many Call of Cthulhu games, the characters might not last as long as other rpgs where the characters are closer to demigods, but with the shorter ride in CoC of characters, it's more thrilling & memorable.

Speaking of Trail of Cthulhu, there's a bunch of good stuff on the Pelgrane site in a post about downloads & a free starter scenario there. What got me hooked on Trail of Cthulhu's rules is the actual plays on Role Playing Public Radio. While they've been going through the more purist/hellish scenarios lately where these scenarios are quite sanity blasting, the Wives of March they started with Fear Itself are quite good plus with them being a small group playing them, they prove the point of ramped up horror with a small group.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... f-cthulhu/

PS- I believe there is one of the strange aeon scenarios on the moon in the future, something else to add to the list of pro-science scenarios. Also just recalled stuff from the Atomic Age Cthulhu too.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:32 am

Nice podcast! I wouldn't mind seeing more on SciFi ideas and such when time permits.

(Hook): it was great playing with you and the others in Po's game. I think everyone in the game had some type of MU forum presence from lurker to very outspoken.

I've played in several CoC campaigns that were not TPKs every session or so. A lot of this comes down to the style of the keeper. I would disagree with Fox's comment that a TPK means it was a bad game or maybe the wording is off?

I've been in several fun TPKs. I've run several purist campaigns in which people had the same character for many sessions. A lot of it comes down to taking out a lot of violence opportunities and digging into the roleplaying and clue trails. I find inexperienced keepers feel it's necessary to kill their players and then there are the Old School keepers who want at least one player dead every session or they're not doing their job.

Unless it's the children or mortals version I find that most of the WoD games are power fantasies than true horror settings. There are so many sub sections and niches and other tastes that it can be difficult to narrow it down. I know some CoC players who absolutely despise any pulp so MoN and the like are out. On the other side of the spectrum I know players who only wish to play pulp and demand that they never die b/c they can't handle dying. The latter tend to have come from power fantasy gaming and aren't much on risk taking.

I like the ToC scenarios quite a bit. The mechanics are my third CoC choice as a keeper.

I generally see KS projects as investments. You pick people who have good track records yet you're still taking a chance. I think that Chaosium turning soft covers into hard covers is an acceptable gesture. Unless it's run by Oscar Rios I expect delays and even Oscar Rios might be late one of these days and that's generally okay with me.
Attachments
998150_807594955933719_1802231067_n.jpg
998150_807594955933719_1802231067_n.jpg (84.08KiB)Viewed 6556 times
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/