MU Podcast 068 - The New Hotness

Discussion about podcast episodes
fallingtower
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: MU Podcast 068 - The New Hotness

Post by fallingtower » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:20 pm

MikeM wrote:Hi

That's correct - a pushed roll is a second attempt - not merely another go attempt, but that you are doing something extra, something more than the first attempt, throwing yourself at the task completely, and so the result of failure is all the worse.

The mechanic plays in the horror trope as it increases tension, increases the consequences of failure, and essentially builds upon the overall horror. In practice, once players are used to the idea, after a few uses of pushing rolls, it becomes second nature and does not impede play - in fact the overwhelming response to the rule has been that it streamlines play and works well in the game, without drawing players out the experience - with many players saying it actually draws them in closer to the story.

But if it doesn't feel right in your game then leave it out.

Mike
Perfect example:

Survivor Girl, being chased by a crazed axe wielding, hillbilly maniac fails her Dex roll to open the car door before she gets chopped. She can try again with a push roll....if she makes it, she opens the door....if she fails...she snaps the key off in the door lock...
If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences.

H. P. Lovecraft

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:44 am

I quite appreciate the push option. The potential for mayhem is awesome with possible player fiat included.

EDIT/ADDITION: thanks to the MU people for doing this one. When people ask about 7E I'll be sending them to this podcast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

fox01313
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by fox01313 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Great to see this now that 7th ed is out so I'll be hooked to hear the more expanded ones on the sections for this to see what you think both in the rulebook & in practice as a player or keeper.

As for getting into Gumshoe, I'd say for anyone to go get the cheaper pdfs to see the rules then go to the Actual Plays at Role Playing Public Radio where there's a whole campaign for them early on in playing Gumshoe with Nights Black Agents but some really good stuff with Trail of Cthulhu. They recently did the purist series of scenarios from Trail & now on this slightly more pulpy one (with a feeling it might go some interesting places when getting to the Dream Factory episode & a very popular NPC showing up)
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... i-bullets/

main link
http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradi ... f-cthulhu/
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

trinite
Freshman
Freshman

Post by trinite » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Does anyone know when the 7th Ed books are supposed to be available in print, for purchase by non-backers?