Combat Actions Per Round Question

Combat rules discussion. Beat them up, blow them up, burn them up, blow them away. If it ruins someone's day, this is probably the forum to talk about it.
Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor
Combat Actions Per Round Question

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 pm

On one of the earlier podcasts or maybe one of the Actual Plays, there was mention of a mechanic taken from another game (Legends something?) that calculated combat actions per round, and I either forgot to write it down while listening or the episode was playing while I was driving. It sounded like something I would like to use with my table, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what that equation is. Thanks!

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan
Re: Combat Actions Per Round Question

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 am

There are a few that give combat actions based on your dexterity score or some other derived stat. I think you might be able to make a case for one combat action for every 5 points of Dex in CoC. That might need some tweaking though.

Could you have been thinking of the legends of the five rings ?

Sent from my Rezound on TRON using Tapatalk 4

Aaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:53 am

I honestly don't know. I have been listening to both the podcast and Actual Play's intermittently, so I can't remember what show it was from, but I am pretty sure it was something Keeper Dan was using that gave characters a certain amount of actions based on something, and I remember the word Legends. In a pinch, Dex/5 = Actions Per Round sounds fine with me. I just want to give my friends some more combat structure when I throw some mooks at them because we for sure enjoy a bit of pulp in each session, even if the rest of it is terrifyingly mortal.

Keeper Dan
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by Keeper Dan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:52 pm

What you're thinking of is the rule from Mongoose's Legend game. I really like a number of the tweaks in there, and it's compatible with BRP/CoC.

It's also Oper Gaming License, so I can post the rules for it here. :mrgreen: I'll include the Legend version of Initiative, which they call Strike Rank.
For a more combat-heavy CoC game, this can add in some fun and excitement.

Strike Rank
How frequently an Adventurer acts in combat is defined by Combat Actions. How quickly he
acts is defined by Strike Rank. Strike Rank is described in more detail in the Combat chapter
but essentially, the higher an Adventurer’s Strike Rank the quicker he acts in a Combat Round.

Strike Rank is based on two components and is calculated as follows:
• Add together INT and DEX and divide the result by two (rounding up). An Adventurer’s
speed of action is a combination ability to weigh-up his opponents and spot potential
openings and opportunities, and his overall speed and quickness of action.

Combat Actions-
Average of DEX and INT Combat Actions
6 or less: 1
7–12: 2
13–18: 3
For every additional 6 points +1
Keeper Dan of the Miskatonic University Podcast

KeeperMurph
Daemon Sultan
Daemon Sultan

Post by KeeperMurph » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Yeah I like that.

Sent from my Rezound on TRON using Tapatalk 4

Thomas R. Knutsson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Thomas R. Knutsson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:53 am

The BRP rulebook also has Strike Ranks as a spot rule.
In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan.
-"The Strange High House in the Mist" by HPL