Forgotten Realms + Cthulhu Mythos = Win?

Where students and faculty can talk about whatever they like.
Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:08 pm

I'm looking for some scenario help here, folks... There's a local convention I attend which is celebrating its 25th anniversary, and it also happens to be the 50th anniversary of the Forgotten Realms. Ed Greenwood, who created FR, is a regular attendee as well. Many of the GMs are running Forgotten Realms-based games in tribute, but as they'e already working with D&D, Pathfinder, etc., it's a simple matter to find and develop scenarios. I am "the horror guy" at the convention, and usually run some form of Mythos game. I'd love to whip up a game that fits in the Realms theme, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a starting point.

Do any of you have experience with Dark Ages, or do you know of a suitable fantasy-style scenario for Call of Cthulhu that might be adaptable, or at least inspirational for developing into a Forgotten Realms one-shot?

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Re: Forgotten Realms + Cthulhu Mythos = Win?

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 am

That is a very fun question. How about the first scenario of the Ravenar Sagas? I don't know FR terribly well, but I'm sure you could find a seafaring part of the world. Allow pregens with horrible mythos spells. Add a sea monster. Voila, Call of Forgotten Cthulhu.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Excellent suggestion and thanks for the speedy reply, Chad! I grabbed the PDF and I think it will work perfectly. Just shifting the location to Icewind Dale and tweaking some characters and locations I can pretty much drag and drop this in. :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:52 pm

That is cool. Yeah, I think the basic story should port over nicely. It was meant as a high action start to the campaign, so seems like it should be a crowd pleaser.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Mahaffa
Junior
Junior

Post by Mahaffa » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:24 am

Throw in a remmorhaz crossed with a mind flayer and you've got some gold :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Hmmm...the PCs are chasing an evil sorcerer through the Ruins of Myth Drannor. Just as they catch up to him, a fight ensues and in the chaos the sorcerer casts a Gate spell. With seconds left, the PCs follow the sorcerer through the gate only to find themselves in a strange, cyclopean city.

Are they in the Underdark? In Undermountain? Or in some unknown cavern under the Sea of Swords? Why do the vast buildings in this place seem to defy all logic? And what is that heavy breathing, as if something large were slumbering somewhere in the cavern.

From the distance a chanting can be heard. You must be close to the sorcerer, but he is apparently trying to summon something to his aid. The chase is on!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Shannon Mac
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Shannon Mac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:44 am

I'm normally not into fantasy but would be open to trying this one out simply as a lot of CoC players enjoy it.
My gaming blog with pretty pictures: http://www.storytellersjem.blogspot.com/

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Once again, thanks for all of the suggestions on this one. I ran the resulting scenario twice, along with "Cold Dead Hand" and a homebrewed Cthulhu Dark scenario (for SEVEN players). I guess I did an alright job, as I was voted GM of the year for the con and scored a few CoC books that were a welcome addition to my library. :)

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Congratulations! That is very cool!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/