Cthulhu Dark -- Everest OOC Thread

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student
Re: Cthulhu Dark -- Everest OOC Thread

Post by Howard » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 am

Thanks fellas, just going off your lead.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Mea culpa for the long lag, folks. I had a couple of crazy weeks, and probably should have posted an explanation earlier. I hope we can pick up the momentum again.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote:Mea culpa for the long lag, folks. I had a couple of crazy weeks, and probably should have posted an explanation earlier. I hope we can pick up the momentum again.
No worries - these things happen. Glad you're back!!!
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Howard
Graduate Student
Graduate Student

Post by Howard » Wed May 15, 2013 6:07 am

If we were sitting around the table, I would get the impression the Keeper didn't like our decision to follow Odell. :)

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 am

Howard wrote:If we were sitting around the table, I would get the impression the Keeper didn't like our decision to follow Odell. :)

Hah! Actually, that's not the case at all. I'm just glad to see a party forced into tough decisions. I like that the group seems to be part rescue party, part posse. Mostly posse.

The exhaustion mechanics do seem outrageously harsh. Too much of a deterrent in this chase?
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote: Hah! Actually, that's not the case at all. I'm just glad to see a party forced into tough decisions. I like that the group seems to be part rescue party, part posse. Mostly posse.
Agree -- it's decisions like this that keep scenarios from railroading the players along a predetermined path. Either let Odell go, or follow and apprehend him -- neither is an attractive option, but both are legitimate courses of action with their own, discrete consequences.
Dr. Gerard wrote:The exhaustion mechanics do seem outrageously harsh. Too much of a deterrent in this chase?
They're pretty stringent, but not outrageously harsh, I think -- although I may be talking out of the other side of my mouth when I start missing those subsequent fatigue rolls. I'll point out that even somebody as stubborn and bloody-minded as Finch is very unlikely to deliberately push himself to the point of complete and fatal exhaustion in pursuit of Odell unless the circumstances leave him no other viable choice. He's too much of a pragmatist.

That said, I'm wondering if I misunderstood the exhaustion mechanic here. Do we gain an exhaustion point during the chase if our exhaustion die exactly matches either one of the other two dice? Or is it matches or exceeds either one of the other two dice? In the first case, I would not have gained an exhaustion point. In the latter case, I think I would have gone up to Exhaustion 3. Just want to make sure I'm on the up-and-up here.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Scriven wrote:
Dr. Gerard wrote: Hah! Actually, that's not the case at all. I'm just glad to see a party forced into tough decisions. I like that the group seems to be part rescue party, part posse. Mostly posse.
Agree -- it's decisions like this that keep scenarios from railroading the players along a predetermined path. Either let Odell go, or follow and apprehend him -- neither is an attractive option, but both are legitimate courses of action with their own, discrete consequences.
Dr. Gerard wrote:The exhaustion mechanics do seem outrageously harsh. Too much of a deterrent in this chase?
They're pretty stringent, but not outrageously harsh, I think -- although I may be talking out of the other side of my mouth when I start missing those subsequent fatigue rolls. I'll point out that even somebody as stubborn and bloody-minded as Finch is very unlikely to deliberately push himself to the point of complete and fatal exhaustion in pursuit of Odell unless the circumstances leave him no other viable choice. He's too much of a pragmatist.

That said, I'm wondering if I misunderstood the exhaustion mechanic here. Do we gain an exhaustion point during the chase if our exhaustion die exactly matches either one of the other two dice? Or is it matches or exceeds either one of the other two dice? In the first case, I would not have gained an exhaustion point. In the latter case, I think I would have gone up to Exhaustion 3. Just want to make sure I'm on the up-and-up here.
No, you got it right. The value of the Exhaustion die must match the value of another die in the pool in order to trigger the increase. 5-2-2 triggers an increase. 3-4-5 does not. (With the last one designated as Exhaustion.)
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 am

I'm moved to write a note of mourning and respect for the Sherpas who died last week in an avalanche while climbing Everest.

It's devastating news. And it raises some really important issues about the risks that climbing guides take for their clients.

My thoughts are with their families.
tumblr_m8smia4aqu1rdhya1o1_500.jpg
tumblr_m8smia4aqu1rdhya1o1_500.jpg (102.44KiB)Viewed 18109 times
Plays for Keepers

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Its funny, when I heard about that I immediately thought of our game. The risks that the climbing guides take are amazing, and this is a sad loss.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Agreed -- my mind went first there, too. Tragic.
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who