Cthulhu Dark -- Everest OOC Thread

A place for games to be managed and run, as well as looking for people to play with online.
Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor
Cthulhu Dark -- Everest OOC Thread

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello players for the Secret Everest Mission...

I thought I'd start our Out of Character thread now so we can keep any further game questions or logistics issues out of our main game thread. This would be a great place to run through examples and clarify how I'll interpret the sparsely outlined rules.

Tariq, one thing I just caught is that your Sherpa, Nawang Wangdi, is Nepalese instead of Tibetan. The 1920s expeditions were actually all from the Tibet side because Nepal was closed to foreigners. We can keep him as Nepalese with no problem if you want (understandable, since his name is Nepalese), but it would be unusual. I'm happy to hand-wave this, but let's make sure he's also fluent in Tibetan, since that's the language the other "Tigers" and local NPCs will be speaking.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

Tariq
Sophmore
Sophmore
Re: Cthulhu Dark -- Everest OOC Thread

Post by Tariq » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:16 am

Nawang was considered far too young for the last two climbs, but had some how managed to get himself involved with base camp logistics. That was then... and in the intervening years he's grabbed every opportunity to climb. Part of this has meant travelling to the Tibetan side, taking jobs with anyone who will offer. And this is where he met Karma, who's mentored him these past few months.

His Tibetan is better than conversational, but spoken with a heavy Nepalese accent. At least all the local crew will be fluent in Sherpa.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Can anyone recommend a good online die roller? For the last one I just rolled two dice here, but I'd like to find a place that saves the die rolls. I know rpggeek.com can do it in their threads, and was thinking of starting a thread somewhere to record that, unless someone else has a suggestion.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 pm

trevlix wrote:Can anyone recommend a good online die roller? For the last one I just rolled two dice here, but I'd like to find a place that saves the die rolls. I know rpggeek.com can do it in their threads, and was thinking of starting a thread somewhere to record that, unless someone else has a suggestion.
Unless the Keeper objects, I plan on using Invisible Castle, which keeps track of die rolls and indexes them by character name, campaign name or other criteria. It also provides permalinks where the GM or other players can view the specific die roll result and any notes associated with it. I plan to make it a habit to reference the permalink to my Invisible Castle die roll result in the character post. For example: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681662/]
AKA Professor Max von Schiller of the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society (MAPS)
AKA George Finch of the Secret Everest Expedition
"Let's see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards" -- Dr. Who

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Tariq wrote:Nawang was considered far too young for the last two climbs, but had some how managed to get himself involved with base camp logistics. That was then... and in the intervening years he's grabbed every opportunity to climb. Part of this has meant travelling to the Tibetan side, taking jobs with anyone who will offer. And this is where he met Karma, who's mentored him these past few months.

His Tibetan is better than conversational, but spoken with a heavy Nepalese accent. At least all the local crew will be fluent in Sherpa.
Excellent. Sherpas share a strong common bond that transcends borders. Over the last few missions, you've earned the respect of Tigers and "white-eyed" foreigners alike.
Plays for Keepers

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 am

mjmedwick wrote:Unless the Keeper objects, I plan on using Invisible Castle, which keeps track of die rolls and indexes them by character name, campaign name or other criteria. It also provides permalinks where the GM or other players can view the specific die roll result and any notes associated with it. I plan to make it a habit to reference the permalink to my Invisible Castle die roll result in the character post. For example: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3681662/]
No objections at all. I just finally clicked through to your die roll link and I gotta say I love this site. Very cool resource, mjmedwick. As I mentioned before, I'm more than happy to go with the honor system on die rolls...but it's worth checking out for fun and feel free to use it. I'll probably do so myself.

For the record -- no big deal, but your Insanity and Exhaustion start at 1 instead of 0. For an in-person game, you would designate a special 6-sided die for each of those and place the current score on top, which is why Insanity scores only increase from 1 to 6 in the game.
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Dr. Gerard wrote: For the record -- no big deal, but your Insanity and Exhaustion start at 1 instead of 0. For an in-person game, you would designate a special 6-sided die for each of those and place the current score on top, which is why Insanity scores only increase from 1 to 6 in the game.
Correction made. Thanks for pointing it out.

- Mike

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 pm

A gentle reminder, Jon, that I'll wait for your result before I describe the next scene. No huge rush -- I just want to be careful not to leave anyone behind in the narrative.
Plays for Keepers

Scriven
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Scriven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Amazing photograph, Dr. Gerard!

Just in case anybody's interested, you can catch "The WIldest Dream" on Netflix, National Geographic's film about the modern mountaineer who found Mallory's body on Everest in '99 and his attempt to demonstrate that Mallory and Irvine could have successfully made it to the summit before they perished. I watched it this past weekend -- not bad, although I wish the historical content was a little more in depth.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm

That's an excellent documentary. That story was, in fact, the inspiration for this scenario.
Plays for Keepers