Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Find a type on the 7e Proof Edition PDF? Share them here so Chaosium can get them cleared up before print!
sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Post by sjaffe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Ok, I know this isn't really "proofreading" necessarily but I wanted to say having read through the chapter on the grimoire, I feel disappointed. For one thing, it seems to me that spells that were in the 6th edition book are missing (Circle of Nausea comes to mind only because I wrote a scenario using it). From the same page of the 6th edition book that has Circle of Nausea, other spells seem to be missing from 7th edition: Charm Animal, Chime of Tezchaptl and Cloak of Fire. I didn't go through and check every spell from 6th edition but I did notice some glaring omissions. For example, in the section on tomes, in the list of spells that are found in the book "Monstres and Their Kynde" it lists: Enchant Altar, Enchant Blade and Enchant Pipes. Yet none of those spell descriptions can be found in the chapter on the Grimoire. Other spells mentioned in the section on tomes that are missing in the grimoire: Create Scrying Window and Prinn's Crux Ansata (both mentioned in the description of De Vermiis Mysteriis).

I had kind of hoped that the 7th edition book would have at least all the same material that was in the 6th edition book. I realize that some stuff may have been cut for space but the book should certainly contain descriptions of spells mentioned elsewhere in the same book! I had also hoped that this would be seen as a good opportunity to collect all the spell descriptions and tomes that have been mentioned in earlier scenarios and other published works that may now be out of print or hard to find.

As I said, I feel somewhat disappointed by this and it seems to be an opportunity missed.

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 pm

On page 272 of the Keeper's book, underneath the picture of the lightning gun, the last sentence of that paragraph reads: "At point-blank range add one bonus to the attack roll". Shouldn't that be "add one bonus die"? And is that sentence needed at all since generally you add one bonus die for firing a firearm at point-blank range? Or is that one bonus die in addition to the one you get for firing a firearm at point-blank range?

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Page 274 of the Keeper's book, in the section about the Star Stones, it says: "Either way, a star stone is believed to ward the bearer against the minions the
Great Old Ones, granting safe passage in dark places."

That should be "against the minions of the...". The word "of" is missing.

trevlix
Investigator
Investigator

Post by trevlix » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 pm

Found somethings that I hope no on else posted yet. If so, sorry.

In the keepers book, the chapter headings are off. For example, on page 241 it says "Chapter 13 Grimoire", but the page headings say "Chapter 12". It is like this for many chapters.

p234 Keepers book, Revelations of Gla'aki
- The text says 9 folios were published and 3 are rumored to exist. However, in the stand-out text below the entry, it says there are rumors of 11 volume sets. It should be 12 volume sets, not 11.
[Trafford: Insanity: 4, Exhaustion: 2]

http://keepingthegame.blogspot.com/

veshoon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by veshoon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:20 am

Investigators Handbook page 27 last paragraph

"August the half-expected outcome developed,
and in the small hours of the 3d Dr. Armitage was awakened"

3d should be 3rd.

Magnus Nordlander
Sophmore
Sophmore

Post by Magnus Nordlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 am

veshoon wrote:Investigators Handbook page 27 last paragraph

"August the half-expected outcome developed,
and in the small hours of the 3d Dr. Armitage was awakened"

3d should be 3rd.
Actually, 3d is probably correct. Quoting from Wikipedia:
In the legal field and in some older publications, the ordinal abbreviation for "second" and "third" is simply "d".

For example: 42d, 33d, 23d.
NB: The practice of using "d" to denote "second" and "third" is still often followed in the numeric designations of units in the US armed forces, for example, 533d Squadron.

veshoon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by veshoon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:21 am

Keepers handbook page 240 it says "Chapter Thirteen Grimoire

It should say "Chapter 12 Grimoire"

veshoon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by veshoon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:34 am

Keepers Rulebook page 253 in the Create Zombie spell description it says "For a number of variations on this spell see Spell Variations (see page @@)"

This should be "page 243"

veshoon
Freshman
Freshman

Post by veshoon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 am

Chapter 3 also has multiple references to other pages but the page number is listed as page@@

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 am

Compare the "Quick Reference: Investigator Generation" double page spread in the Keeper Book ( pgs. 34-35 ) to the one in the Investigator Book ( pgs. 64-65 )

Step 6 and step 7 are swapped between the two books' spreads.

Suggest standardising the step numbers to avoid confusion.