Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Find a type on the 7e Proof Edition PDF? Share them here so Chaosium can get them cleared up before print!
groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman
Re: Kickstarter Proof Reviews Here

Post by groovyclam » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Don't post "see page @@" errors - these will be fixed after proofing is finished.

Post any other errors though.

jlv61560
Freshman
Freshman

Post by jlv61560 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:15 am

This is not a proofing issue. It is, however a major editing issue.

I want to take exception to the re-write of the Theron Marks Manual as an actual chapter in the Investigator's Handbook. In the past, the Manual was available to me as a Keeper to arrange for the players to find. This not only provided me with an opportunity to give them a cool handout (I frequently copied and then doctored the original manual "pull-out" from Terror From the Stars with fake bloodstains and rips and so on to thrill the players) fairly early in the game, but also allowed them to work out their own ideas on how to function as a team, thus significantly increasing their role-playing opportunities, and helping them make the campaign truly "their own."

Rather than include it as a chapter (and thus both remove the cachet of the original, and turn it into some kind of "canon" information for the game), I would have much preferred that you simply include the original Theron Marks Manual as a potential handout to the players (or even as a PDF that we could doctor up a bit before providing it to the players) thus allowing them to draw their own conclusions and ideas from the content. I also think the decision to use large parts of it verbatim, but change the names was an unfortunate decision since the new names, frankly, aren't as evocative as the old ones, add or improve absolutely nothing to the content, and seems to have been done for no better reason than it could be done. Furthermore, the elimination of the pen and pencil corrections from the original "manuscript" serves to turn it into something that "must be true since it was published in the text of the Handbook" instead of being provided as a prop, which, like evidence in a scenario, may or may not be true.

Obviously, I feel strongly about this particular issue, since I feel this decision has actually reduced the opportunities for the players to role-play the development of their own ideas on teamwork and organizations. I sincerely hope you'll consider re-writing the chapter in question to remove the references to the Theron Marks clone and instead simply provide a copy of the original Theron Marks Manual (jazzed up, if you like, to the new production standards) for the Keeper to use as s/he sees fit. In my opinion, the chapter in question, Chapter 7, could be fairly easily rewritten to remove the quotes and revised names and still provide some suggestions on teamwork and organization, or even simply merged with Chapter 6 since much of the material would be removed back to the Theron Marks Manual and the rest could easily fit within Chapter 6.

morganhua
Freshman
Freshman

Post by morganhua » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am

Keeper's
p.23: "Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914?)" Looks a bit odd and almost looks like an error, I looked it up and I prefer "Ambrose Bierce (1842-circa 1914)" Since he disappeared and never showed up again, it is safe to assume he died about that time vs living as a hermit with an assumed name for several more decades. The question mark makes it seem like maybe he's not dead. I think it's pretty clear that he died.
p.37: I found the values listed a bit inconsistent. The values above 90 are inconsistent. The most glaring are the 210+ and 200+, why not pick either 210+ or 200+ for all of the stats and make them consistent. For ease of use, the upper levels should be the same values.
p. 40: The asterisk for Lovecraftian Occupations is a bit cryptic. Since "[Modern]" is used for modern occupations, why not use a different label like "[Lovecraft stories]" instead of an asterisk? I know the previous editions did use the asterisk, but it's cryptic, and we can improve on this now.
p.187: Caption under picture: "How do your investigators know eachother?" It should be "each other" with a space. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eachother

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 am

sjaffe wrote:
If I were going to run any of the scenarios from Tales of the Crescent City, I'd have to choose between using the 6th edition rules, or bringing both the 6th edition and 7th edition books with me to the games. I'd probably choose to use 6th edition. New players then probably won't buy the 7th edition books, they'll buy the 6th edition books. And as glitzy and nice and well-written as the 7th edition books are, once word hits in reviews and comments on the web that so much is missing from the grimoire, that may impact sales.
I mentioned the missing spells/material to my gaming group last night. The consensus was: "I guess we're not buying the 7th edition books then". So, that would be a loss of 6 sales right there.

PaulBaldowski
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PaulBaldowski » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Keeper's Rulebook

p16 - Read Me - Makes reference to 'The Haunting' as a good first adventure from the back of the book, but it is now in the Quick Start PDF rather than the Keeper's Rulebook

p104 - Determining Damage: inexplicable ‘1D3 for an unarmed human attack).’ at the end of sentence

p107 - only to be jumped by ***a*** knife-wielding thug demanding money - sentence is currently missing the 'a'

p116 - Repeated words in combat example in left column: “A critical at very long range A critical at very long range is an impale”

UnearthlyRanger
Freshman
Freshman

Post by UnearthlyRanger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Investigators Handbook.

Page 11-Picture is back to front, also seems to be placed twice leaving an edge on left side.
Page 40/41,122/123,140/147,224/225 left Picture seems clearer than the right ones, could poss be an issue with my pdf though.
Page 160/161-Picture, although nice seems out of place?.

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:49 pm

On page 269 of the Keeper's book, in the section about Carotid Toxin, it says: "The toxin slowly eats away at the carotid arteries, causing massive internal bleeding and almost instantaneous death."

If the poison slowly eats away at the arteries, how can it cause "almost instantaneous" death? That's a contradiction. I think you mean to say something like once the arteries burst (or whatever) it causes the bleeding and death but the sentence doesn't say that. It's not clear what's really meant.

sjaffe
Freshman
Freshman

Post by sjaffe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:55 pm

P. 174 of the Keeper's guide, right column, two paragraphs before the section on "Full Study" says: "A roll should now be made for Sanity point loss; note that the Sanity roll is bypassed when reading a tome—the Sanity point loss is automatic."

Ok, I'm confused. Make a roll and then ignore it? Or are two different rolls being mentioned here? Can this be clarified? What exactly are you saying?

In the next paragraph, it says: "the initial reading also allows the reader to learn about the contents of book"

The word "the" is missing before the word "book".

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:23 am

To MikeM - check your Yog-Sothoth messages when you can. I've posted something that may be useful.

groovyclam
Freshman
Freshman

Post by groovyclam » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 am

Investigator book - pages 39 and 63 - the full page graphic is not wide enough to fill the page - there are a few pixels of whitespace down the left edge - graphic needs moving left or expanding in width.

Same problem in Keeper book on pages 87 and 221.