The Doom that Came to Atlantic City

Tell us about the new thing you picked up. Be it a game, module, mini, dice, board game, novel, comic, video game, music, or whatever. Share what you love, or loathe with everyone.
Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
The Doom that Came to Atlantic City

Post by Gladius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Finally received my kickstarter-backer version of this game. I haven't played it yet, but here are some first impressions:

- Big props to Cryptozoic for doing this at their own cost and sending the KS backers their copies, for free. While I'm sure they have a business plan behind this, it shows some really good will on their part. Although I pledged at a level high enough to get pewter versions of the figurines, it's unclear if they are going to manufacture those. I don't know what the MSRP of the game will be when it hits retailers, but it's easily in the $40-$50 quality range of many current games.
- The resin figures included in the game are fantastic! They are very large and highly detailed. They are a grey plastic, I sort of wish they were made of a darker material, I think it would help bring out some of the detail, but this is a really minor nit. These are display quality and could probably be painted if you were up for it.
- The quality of the cardboard/chipboard is moderate. As with a lot of newer KS games printed in China, the boards warp almost immediately when taken out of the box due to humidity (or lack thereof). This shouldn't be an issue in the long term though. However, the main game board had an issue when I was folding it back up, the paper surface separated from the cardboard backing (hard to describe) - something that only happens with cheaper materials. Just handle the board with care when folding it.
- The graphic design is fun and evocative of the spirit of the game. Even though this is a game about the Elder Gods stomping on humanity, the flavor of the game is lighter and the visuals reflect that.
- Custom laser-engraved dice! This was a nice little surprise that definitely adds to the overall feel of quality.
- Custom people/house/tentacle tokens - another nice touch

I haven't played the game yet, but will post back here when I do.

Good stuff!

(Not my photo)

Gladius
Sponsor
Sponsor
Re: The Doom that Came to Atlantic City

Post by Gladius » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Sadly GC isn't on my schedule this year...wish it was, since you guys are all going to be there. I'm sure someone will have it, if not copies on sale in the dealer's room!

Keeper Jon
Professor
Professor

Post by Keeper Jon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Gladius wrote:Sadly GC isn't on my schedule this year...wish it was, since you guys are all going to be there. I'm sure someone will have it, if not copies on sale in the dealer's room!
Craptastic. Okay. I'll pick one up at Gen Con.

OMG... I can't believe I'm going to Gen Con.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:40 am

Gladius wrote:Finally received my kickstarter-backer version of this game. I haven't played it yet, but here are some first impressions:

- Big props to Cryptozoic for doing this at their own cost and sending the KS backers their copies, for free. While I'm sure they have a business plan behind this, it shows some really good will on their part. Although I pledged at a level high enough to get pewter versions of the figurines, it's unclear if they are going to manufacture those. I don't know what the MSRP of the game will be when it hits retailers, but it's easily in the $40-$50 quality range of many current games.
- The resin figures included in the game are fantastic! They are very large and highly detailed. They are a grey plastic, I sort of wish they were made of a darker material, I think it would help bring out some of the detail, but this is a really minor nit. These are display quality and could probably be painted if you were up for it.
- The quality of the cardboard/chipboard is moderate. As with a lot of newer KS games printed in China, the boards warp almost immediately when taken out of the box due to humidity (or lack thereof). This shouldn't be an issue in the long term though. However, the main game board had an issue when I was folding it back up, the paper surface separated from the cardboard backing (hard to describe) - something that only happens with cheaper materials. Just handle the board with care when folding it.
- The graphic design is fun and evocative of the spirit of the game. Even though this is a game about the Elder Gods stomping on humanity, the flavor of the game is lighter and the visuals reflect that.
- Custom laser-engraved dice! This was a nice little surprise that definitely adds to the overall feel of quality.
- Custom people/house/tentacle tokens - another nice touch

I haven't played the game yet, but will post back here when I do.
Any idea who the mini artist is? This is someone worth following.
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Artist is Paul Komoda ...FX guy i

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Erich B.
Denton, TX

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:24 pm

I just got my copy in too as they sent us kickstarters free copies before retail. ....looks great my only complaint is that somehow one of the larger cards was all bent to hell in the packing somehow....other than its great!

Erich B.
Denton, TX

creatureslagoon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by creatureslagoon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Props to Cryptozoic for stepping up to finish thid game. ..I own a few of there games and they are great!

Erich B.
Denton, TX

Nvision
Masters Degree
Masters Degree

Post by Nvision » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Gladius wrote:- The resin figures included in the game are fantastic! They are very large and highly detailed. They are a grey plastic, I sort of wish they were made of a darker material, I think it would help bring out some of the detail, but this is a really minor nit. These are display quality and could probably be painted if you were up for it.
If you wanted to bring out those details, but didn't want to invest in fully painting the figures, you could always do a quick black wash, and then hit them with a spray sealant. Acrylic washes settle in the low-lying areas of the figure and dramatically increase the detail contrast with little time or skill involved. I'd suggest either a 1:3 mix of black ink and water, or some GW NulnOil or Reaper Black Wash if you want ready made washes.

Dr. Gerard
Professor
Professor

Post by Dr. Gerard » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:13 am

Huh...are you perhaps a minis painter? Got any pics to share? Maybe we should start a new mini painting thread!
Keeper of the Cthulhu Dark "Secret Everest Expedition" PbP scenario
Rip Wheeler in the Call of Cthulhu "No Man's Land" scenario
Plays for Keepers